1970 521 floor covering

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah not a big fan for inside cab. I want to put dynamat type product down first, then vinyl. will do carpet if I have to but really want it to be more of a truck, not a car lol. we live rural and we actually use our truck around our place and it rains a lot in Washington lol, so carpet will be a last resort.

• 2 months later...

Late reply, but most of the Datsun rubber floor coverings (not individual mats) are moulded, to contour up & over the trans tunnel.  All of them are long discontinued & I'm not aware of any reproductions.  I have a 77k low mile 1980 720 rubber floor covering, that I am going to fit to my 1972 521.  I did lay it in & it is a tad bigger, so a little trimming & it should fit fine.  That tells me that the 620 might fight as well in the 521.  If you are on Facebook, look up Issaranawat TreeAusawa.  He is in Thailand & makes many of the Datsun door panels, using a similar (if not the same) "heat seam" process as Datsun did.  That said, he is a HUGE 620 guy & I THINK I might have seen a post last year, that he can make the 620 rubber floor covering, with the DATSUN logo & ribs.................??  Maybe he can make one a tad larger outer circumference, so you have a little extra material to work with & trim to better fit the 521.......??  As long as you "anchor" the covering, it should stay in place, not move around on you...........

If you do this, please post your results, so we know!

TJ, trace out the 720 cover and save it. I fit a 720 mat in my 620 and it was a few inches wide at the doors, so it would work on 620s also. Could be used for carpet as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 12:41 PM, datzenmike said:

TJ, trace out the 720 cover and save it. I fit a 720 mat in my 620 and it was a few inches wide at the doors, so it would work on 620s also. Could be used for carpet as well.

Yes, same for the 521...........few inches wider at the sides/doors!  Problem with tracing, is the trans tunnel is moulded, so it does not sit flat when laid out.............

I got a NEW carpet kit in the box, for the 521, but I think I want the rubber mat, cuz it will be more of a work truck/hauler, being a flat bed!

• Like 1