Need help.

Draven521

4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If both number one valves are closed the rotor MUST point to the number one plug wire and the distributor MUST look like this...

image.jpeg.0f8d434294ded8a4fe98b2d149293311.jpeg

Pointing at any other plug wire will not work unless you move the plug wires around on the cap to get 1,3,4,2.

I plan to order another distributor. Any suggestions?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rotor can point anywhere it wants but where ever it points.... that is the new number one.

I think Rock Auto had some cloned EI from China. Or did you want to stay with points?

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

The rotor can point anywhere it wants but where ever it points.... that is the new number one.

I think Rock Auto had some cloned EI from China. Or did you want to stay with points?

I definitely want to avoid points. I tried wiring it the proper way all it did was sputter and poof out the carb. I do want to replace the carb as well. I have a Weber on there right now and just plan to buy a new Weber. I know the 71 came with a manual choke and would like to do that again. What Weber do I need exactly?

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I got the Cardone Chinese “remanufactured” EI from Rock Auto. Haven’t had it long enough to recommend it or not, but it certainly works so far, for what it’s worth.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Draven521 said:

My rotor points to the 4th plug and I just made that cylinder one and then going down 2,3,4. So if that gets confusing the order of my cylinders are just reversed 1 being towards the back and 4 up front. I tried wiring it as someone suggested still making cylinder 1 the first to fire and follow the order 1,3,4,2

Not to add another voice but I can’t tell if you all are speaking the same language still…This IS pretty confusing but the sequence you are quoting is correct, so I wonder if then you have 2 and 3 swapped because you are calling your cylinders backwards? You’re still firing 1342 you just have it shifted off two to 4213. Anyone else following that?

A got lost a way back.

The front cylinder closest the radiator is number one.

If the front cylinder valves are closed then it's on the top of the compression stroke and ready to be fired.

Put the distributor in and whatever plug wire on the cap it's pointing is, or now becomes number one.

Arrange the the wires on the cap... 3,  4,  2 in a counter clockwise direction from the 1.

9 hours ago, Slow Loris said:

Not to add another voice but I can’t tell if you all are speaking the same language still…This IS pretty confusing but the sequence you are quoting is correct, so I wonder if then you have 2 and 3 swapped because you are calling your cylinders backwards? You’re still firing 1342 you just have it shifted off two to 4213. Anyone else following that?

This is right. You just explained it better 

45 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

get it running with the points orginal dist first before thinking about swapping another dist in there in which you got to start all over again

I cant make this any ezer go 1 hr 6 mins and show me install a L16 dist

I watched this video everyday for a week straight so I could understand everything and I got it down pretty well. Following the proper firing order it sounds like the truck wants to turn over but hesitates. I’m getting a single point dist so I can run the electronic ignition I’ve heard it solves a lot of problems. Also I think a my issue could be my carb as well. I have no idea how long it’s been on the truck and I’m always having problems with it too. So I’m going to purchase one with a manual choke. I can get the truck to idle but it just bogs down when giving it gas. It has a new dual point dist, condensers, cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil and ballast. I know yall get a little tired of having to reply to the same issue with no change and I don’t blame yall. I have all the information I need from you guys so I’m just gonna put some new parts into play and see what happens. I do have one question, what kind of battery are you guys running? I got one from oriellys (went with the cheap option) and it’s tiny. The previous one that was in there is like double the size. I also plan to redo my entire wiring harness myself because the current one looks terrible (like spaghetti). The previous owner cut into a lot of existing wiring and I’m not a fan of the work. Do yall know the type of wiring gauge I’m going to need is it the same across the board?

7 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

if get to idle your close.if you give it gas it could be going out of time. this is its off a tooth or maybe your dist plate is off and you can loosen the 8mm bolt underneath to getmore time

but a timing light will detect this alot sooner if you get it to time at idle but your max out on the timing plate is a obvious proplem

I’m definitely max out on the timing plate. 

37 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

I’m definitely max out on the timing plate. 

Getting your timing light to function properly might be the key to success...

You are assuming your distributor is in the correct orientation just by visual means...

Another thing is you have a mixed match setup... you said you are using the plate from the single points distributor on the dual points.....

I'm not sure if it will matter or not, but you might not have the proper adjustment range. ...

For the moment you could remove the 8 mm bolt that locks the adjustment.... 

This will allow for more adjustment to figure where your distributor really needs to be.....

Again I think the timing light functioning is key.... 

Any chance you have another vehicle you can hook the timing light to?

You just need to know if works or not, so your just looking for a consistent flash...

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Getting your timing light to function properly might be the key to success...

You are assuming your distributor is in the correct orientation just by visual means...

Another thing is you have a mixed match setup... you said you are using the plate from the single points distributor on the dual points.....

I'm not sure if it will matter or not, but you might not have the proper adjustment range. ...

For the moment you could remove the 8 mm bolt that locks the adjustment.... 

This will allow for more adjustment to figure where your distributor really needs to be.....

Again I think the timing light functioning is key.... 

Any chance you have another vehicle you can hook the timing light to?

You just need to know if works or not, so your just looking for a consistent flash...

This is new information! Thank you. I had no idea the plate had that effect. I do have a 87 b2000 I can test it on here in a bit 

40 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

This is new information! Thank you. I had no idea the plate had that effect. I do have a 87 b2000 I can test it on here in a bit 

I know there are various plates and pedestals.... I'm just not sure when it causes an issue...  i know sometime people have to slot the plate to get the adjustment they need but I'm not really sure when that's necessary....

you could be fine with what you have since it did all line up.... 

Which direction are you turning and running out of adjustment???

If clockwise, that's towards advancement so the distributor is installed but too retarded. Set to TDC on compression stroke as in your picture...

image.jpeg.8d389fe175556fd1f8b1b8a6a528e3e2.jpeg

Have someone grip the top of the spindle and hold it. Unbolt the oil pump 12mm bolts, lower the oil pump. (have rags handy it will drip) The drive spindle can now be lowered and turned counter clockwise (seen from below) one tooth and pushed back up inside. Confirm that the top has now rotated just slightly clockwise and in now will be near 11:35. Hold in place and install oil pump, twisting it back and forth till the internal gear mates to the spindle end. The thin gasket can be reused if not damaged.

You have now moved the distributor 18 degrees more advanced and you should be able to set the correct timing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

L16s are the same that I know of as I used a SSS one before and they the same timing plate. 

Draven521

When going to later distributors the mounts change and plates so most do not fit a L16. So ordering a  610 710 620 or200sx matchbox does not come with plate mount ect so its useless unless you have a matched set or one drops the oil pump to get it correct again for the timing

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

L16s are the same that I know of as I used a SSS one before and they the same timing plate. 

Draven521

When going to later distributors the mounts change and plates so most do not fit a L16. So ordering a  610 710 620 or200sx matchbox does not come with plate mount ect so its useless unless you have a matched set or one drops the oil pump to get it correct again for the timing

32 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Which direction are you turning and running out of adjustment???

If clockwise, that's towards advancement so the distributor is installed but too retarded. Set to TDC on compression stroke as in your picture...

image.jpeg.8d389fe175556fd1f8b1b8a6a528e3e2.jpeg

Have someone grip the top of the spindle and hold it. Unbolt the oil pump 12mm bolts, lower the oil pump. (have rags handy it will drip) The drive spindle can now be lowered and turned counter clockwise (seen from below) one tooth and pushed back up inside. Confirm that the top has now rotated just slightly clockwise and in now will be near 11:35. Hold in place and install oil pump, twisting it back and forth till the internal gear mates to the spindle end. The thin gasket can be reused if not damaged.

You have now moved the distributor 18 degrees more advanced and you should be able to set the correct timing.

Mike I am indeed turning it clockwise. I’ll put that into play what you mentioned! 

Hainz I was thinking of getting the pertronix 91745 ignitor ii which is why I was planning to order a single point dist again. From my understanding it won’t fit on the dual point dist, correct?

8 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

Mike I am indeed turning it clockwise. I’ll put that into play what you mentioned! 

Hainz I was thinking of getting the pertronix 91745 ignitor ii which is why I was planning to order a single point dist again. From my understanding it won’t fit on the dual point dist, correct?

I guess the plate shouldn't be a factor...

Yes it won't fit the dual points.....

I'd just buy the electronic one if your going to buy a distributor anyhow..

15 hours ago, Slow Loris said:

I got the Cardone Chinese “remanufactured” EI from Rock Auto. Haven’t had it long enough to recommend it or not, but it certainly works so far, for what it’s worth.

Why by a points distributor and add pertronix.... also pertronix only eliminates the points it does not create a hotter spark since you use the same coil and ballist resistor.....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

Why by a points distributor and add pertronix.... also pertronix only eliminates the points it does not create a hotter spark since you use the same coil and ballist resistor.....

I was trying to find the electric one but no luck. Rock auto didn’t have it unless I over looked it but I’m certain I didn’t. And my dogs ran off with my original dist and can’t seem to find it so that’s what I was gonna order another 

Just now, Draven521 said:

I was trying to find the electric one but no luck. Rock auto didn’t have it unless I over looked it but I’m certain I didn’t. And my dogs ran off with my original dist and can’t seem to find it so that’s what I was gonna order another 

You need to probably look at the 620 or 510...

4 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Also I have 2 coils. One that says use with ballast and the other says nothing on it. I’m assuming I don’t have to use a ballast with that one?

40 minutes ago, Draven521 said:

From my understanding it won’t fit on the dual point dist, correct?

yes one has to modify it but havent seen one actualy done

that cardone dist needs a mount and timing plate that matches it. a L16stuff does not line up. Datzenmike has posted that up before with photos

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1