85 720 4x4 won't get warm

ElliotV

I recently purchased a 85 Nissan 720 and have been having trouble getting it warm. I replaced the thermostat(previous owner bought it so I have no idea what temp it is) and it won't get warm except a little bit on the highway and that is only if it is warm enough outside. I was messing with it yesterday thinking the fan clutch might be bad then found out you can't replace it without doing the water pump either then found out it is supposed to have some resistance when it is cold. I did run it without the fan on it for about ten minutes just idling and it started to get warm when it was probably 45f out. Wondering if anyone has any ideas because it isn't even getting hot enough to open the stat. I'm wondering if I can get a more limiting stat to flow less when it is closed. You can also really hear the fan moving when driving it around.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the top radiator hose is too hot to hold then it's warming up.

When ever I have a suspected cooling system problem, I just put a new thermostat in.

You don't need to 'burp' the cooling system. As soon as the thermostat opens for the first time any air bubbles will flow out into the top radiator tank. Just top it up later.