New Guy Here! 73 Datsun 620

El Padrino

What's up guys. Been wanting a Datsun 620 for quite a few years. Always loved Datsun's and Nissan's and I can say I got my holy grail bucket list truck. This is going to be a project truck that me and wife are going to be working on together. I plan on doing all the mechanicals 1st and check everything over. I believe the motor is locked up as I could not rotate it the day I looked at it. Once the mechanicals are complete and the motor is sorted me and my wife plan on doing a late 80's early 90's mini truck build. Static dropped suspension, some 15"-17" billet wheels, and some kind of paint job that reflects that era.

The truck will need some rockers and the floor board will need addressed. Other then that the truck is solid and pretty much no dents in the body panels.

I'm trying to figure out how to post pics. What should I use to post the pics since it wants a URL??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, El Padrino said:

do i need to make a different post or just keep replying to this post??

Either way should work. I think the magic number is 10 but am not positive. Welcome aboard.

It should be said that this is a forum for assholes who just happen to own Datsuns.

5 hours ago, El Padrino said:

So I did find out that the motor in the truck is an L16. The motor has 48,7?? miles on it. Hoping that its not ruined.

I cant wait until the truck comes home on Saturday and I can start messing with it!

The odometer only reads to 99,999 so extremely possible it's 'rolled over' and is actually 148,700 miles. Nothing wrong with that just so you know. My 710 sedan had 20k on it but the muffler was original with no clamps and had the original part number on it. Drivers seat was in excellent shape, brake pedal like new (automatic) floor mat under pedals like new, driver's arm rest new looking. There were repair invoices but none above 20k miles and it had sat for a number of years and sold at an estate sale but deceased owner's daughter.

VggJkMi.jpg

The L16 and all L series engines are tough and capable of hundreds of thousands of miles if maintained.

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The odometer only reads to 99,999 so extremely possible it's 'rolled over' and is actually 148,700 miles. Nothing wrong with that just so you know. My 710 sedan had 20k on it but the muffler was original with no clamps and had the original part number on it. Drivers seat was in excellent shape, brake pedal like new (automatic) floor mat under pedals like new, driver's arm rest new looking. There were repair invoices but none above 20k miles and it had sat for a number of years and sold at an estate sale but deceased owner's daughter.

VggJkMi.jpg

The L16 and all L series engines are tough and capable of hundreds of thousands of miles if maintained.

Yes I knew that and was wondering the same thing. I told my wife I would be more likely to believe it has almost 150,000 miles on it.

Im just glad the truck has been sitting under a carport on concrete instead of out in the open in grass since it’s been sitting since 2008.

12 hours ago, KELMO said:

Either way should work. I think the magic number is 10 but am not positive. Welcome aboard.

It should be said that this is a forum for assholes who just happen to own Datsuns.

Hell I'm a moderator and I don't know. One of the previous platforms you could access and change the posting requirements needed to be able to post pictures. This one? I've searched around and found nothing. It must be built in or set by Thomas and is above my pay grade.

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Hell I'm a moderator and I don't know. One of the previous platforms you could access and change the posting requirements needed to be able to post pictures. This one? I've searched around and found nothing. It must be built in or set by Thomas and is above my pay grade.

Gotcha

8 hours ago, iceman510 said:

If you want some spare or extra L16 parts, let me know.  I have a bunch.

I'm not exactly in your neighborhood, but at least in the eastern half of the US. 😉

Thanks I appreciate the offer. Once I tear into the motor I’ll let u know…

We brought the 620 home yesterday!

My wife was cleaning the truck out and found some goodies. The owners manual and warranty book. There was the original Datsun Warranty card still in the book from 1973! Pretty cool stuff still in there. 

has anyone ever seen the push bar on the front bumper before? I’ve never seen it… pretty neat!

53342037921_b3649d0287_m.jpg53342363229_45705f34fd_m.jpg53342037651_80f5e4fefd_m.jpg53342490910_111415487a_m.jpg53341149707_13f89f0523_m.jpg53342362994_e69beba4c8_m.jpg53341149832_f09de74ee1_m.jpg

• Like 2

Well we went to mess with the truck today. My wife cleaned out the interior and I pulled the radiator and fan to see if I could get the motor to spin. No dice as I didn’t have a socket big enough in my travel tool kit. I’m gonna get the right size socket and try again on Wednesday when I’m off.

I’ll report back Wednesday!

If you get the motor to spin, don't try to fire it until you perform some other simple tasks first.

Drain the existing oil and check for water or debris.

Pull the valve cover and douse the valvetrain with fresh oil.

New oil filter.

That's just to get the motor ready to spin. Depending on how long it's been sitting, you may have a ton of other work before it's ready to fire. Same goes for driving.

3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If you get the motor to spin, don't try to fire it until you perform some other simple tasks first.

Drain the existing oil and check for water or debris.

Pull the valve cover and douse the valvetrain with fresh oil.

New oil filter.

That's just to get the motor ready to spin. Depending on how long it's been sitting, you may have a ton of other work before it's ready to fire. Same goes for driving.

Yes I agree 100%.

That’s the plan is to see if it spins and then go from there.

i tried to get the valve cover off the other day when I was messing with it but I could not get it off and I didn’t have a dead blow hammer to try. I wanted to see what it looked like in there.

From what I was told the truck has been sitting since 2008. 

I appreciate ur input.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If plugs were out or stored with hood up, weather can cause rust in the cylinders making it stiff to turn.  Do you know the history? Maybe driven till seized... oil in it, water??

So the guy i bought the truck from bought the truck last month. He was going to put an LS in it and decided to sell the truck instead. The truck had been sitting since 2008 on concrete under a carport but I do not know why since the guy I got it from has only had it for 1 month. The plugs were just pulled 2 weeks ago and Marvel Mystery oil was poured in so that it can start working its way in hopefully. The Radiator and lower part of motor had coolant in it still. There is oil in the motor but it is very black.

• Like 1