Chance

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Chance said:

Trying to figure out what this is leaking and how to fix. Any help would be appreciated. 
IMG-7964.jpg

You may need to elaborate more....

Is it in the Front, middle or rear....

Are you sure its transmission not engine oil? 

Is this a new leak or old?

Was anything recently changed?

Always a good idea is to do a good clean up and then try to locate the start of the leak... from there a solution can be determined....

There is a fill bung on the driver's side about half way up the case. If oil comes out it's over filled. When it stops put the bung back in. Over filling will cause the oil to foam and it will leak out the breather.

Most likely is the rear seal where the drive shaft spline enters the rear of the transmission.

Another leak source is the speedometer cable.

Power wash the transmission clean and when dry, spray and rinse down with brake cleaner. Check regularly for signs of a leak origin.

The front looks dry.

Check the washer isn't split. Or missing!

32005-21100 is the part number, if still available. If only used ones are available they are used on...

SP/SR 311 Roadster

'68-'73 510

'71- Mar. '74 1200

520/521 trucks

'73 620 truck

When done check oil level and top up.

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Check the washer isn't split. Or missing!

32005-21100 is the part number, if still available. If only used ones are available they are used on...

SP/SR 311 Roadster

'68-'73 510

'71- Mar. '74 1200

520/521 trucks

'73 620 truck

When done check oil level and top up.

I dont ever remember seeing a washer either....

Mike the part number you list is for the reverse switch itself.....

36 minutes ago, Chance said:

@datzenmike what size washer does it need? Not finding any of the switches that come with a washer. Some other forums are saying 1/16th thick. My reverse lights were working just fine without it. Maybe it was the bunched up Teflon tape that was making it leak? Thanks. 

Try cleaning everything and not using the teflon tape... if it still does leak I'd use one of those copper drain plug washers that crush to seal..... 

Edited by Crashtd420
38 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I dont ever remember seeing a washer either....

Mike the part number you list is for the reverse switch itself.....

What was this for? I thought 521 but now looking back it looks like a '73 620.

32005-21100 is the switch. Yes I revised the text after, and added the comment about the washer. But as it turns out, no, the '73 620 switch does not show a washer nor any vehicle with the F4W63. 

• Like 1

If solder isn't working you can use crimp connectors, you don't HAVE to solder things. It's just a way to make a connection same as anything. How many joints in the stock wiring harness are soldered and how many use connectors? Connectors are fine, cleaning it up first is more important than anything.

Crimped everything up, old wires not long enough to reach now after cutting and stripping. The wires coming from the harness weren’t event connected to eachother just touching in some wire insulation. Turns out the switch seems to be leaking from the plastic part where the terminals are. So probably gotta get a new switch and figure the wiring out.