'73 620 build

Chance

I recently picked up my dream truck since I was a freshman in high school and I'm ready to build it on a budget. just seeking some guidance to avoid having to spend more than I got to. 

I want to ka24de swap her so I don't have to worry about long distance travel with the carb and stuff. also the oil seems to be "repaired" by the drain plug and it has a slow leak and id rather put the money from buying a new oil pan into a ka swap. any advice would help. 

little backstory she's only had 2 owners, the second owner who I bought her from owned her since '81 he had a ton of receipts and record of the truck since then. pretty cool to me. 

thanks for any help. tried to figure out how to post photos but can't figure it out haha, any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Sounds like a fun project and one you’ll find plenty of info for which is great. I am a new member here also and everyone has been very helpful, but there are decades of threads on here already, these forums are just an amazing asset to the Internet so definitely use it!

Anyway, good luck from one new member to another, keep us posted with the build 👍🏻

Edited by 1001001SOS
  • Like 1

Considering you are on a budget then a swap is out of the question. Im not trying to be negative but a swap is easily going to cost you at least 5k to 10k. These stock engines are hard to kill, And are pretty reliable. Ive been driving mine to work and back every day (100 miles round trip) for months at a time. Ive driven 1200 miles round trips with no issues at all running the engine at 4k rpm for hours on end. Just fix the leaks and keep up in maintenance and it will outlive you. Once you work out any litle bugs it might have they are great little trucks.

• Like 1

I agree with the above statements...

I daily my  carbureted L16 powed 521 about 9 month out of the year....  

A running datsun is way more enjoyable than a project....

I try to do the projects in between during winter months to maintain drivability... 

I'm guessing L20B....

They are great, strong, reliable motors....

If the oil pan has a leak someone can tig weld it for cheap...

My pan leaked around the oil plug.. not the plug but the boss that's in the pan. This can happen from over tightening.... 

If worried about dealing with carburation I'd get it running and add a sniper efi and maybe a cam while your there....

This would be the best budget minded upgrade vs a full swap....

• Like 1

What can you do yourself?  Can you weld?  Can you design and build the various necessary mounts for a swap?  Or are you willing to layout the cash for the necessary swap components like motor mounts?

I find $5K to be pretty absurd an estimate to put in a KA, unless you are paying a shop to do it.  If you are doing it yourself it can be done for much less.

Buy a complete running D21 for your swap.  That will be your cheapest point of entry.  It can seem cheap to buy just a motor laying around, but once you add up all the ancillary crap you have to purchase, a swap donor is pretty much always a better option.  There are just too many things you won't think of up front that will nickel and dime you to death.

Then you will either have to deconstruct the wiring harness, or get a 240sx engine harness and intake manifold.  You will need a Can-Am box (which I think can still be ordered from a member on here) to do hookup the wiring, or build your own based on wiring diagrams available here on Ratsun.

If you can weld, build your own mounts.  If you can't, you will have to buy some if Redeye is still selling them.  So that is another cost.

You can likely, though I can't guarantee, use the radiator etc from the D21 to save money.  Same with the rad hoses.

You will need a higher pressure fuel pump.  An easy option is to go to a parts store and ask for the fuel pump from a 1988 Ford F150.  These are an inline pump pushing fuel injection level pressures.

Then driveshaft and exhaust.

The less you can do, the more the price goes up.

But either way, if this is your first real project, let me provide some further advice.  GET IT RUNNING FIRST.  Even if you think its a waste of money.  It won't be.  The ability to stay motivated on a project is increase a million times over if you have a running vehicle.  Then you can gather money and source 90% of your parts while driving it around, even if only sometimes.  Waste the money, make it run.  Then decide your long term plans.  People who ignore this advice and just dive in deep have like a 90% failure rate of ever having their vehicle on the road.

2 hours ago, Dusten said:

1500 for the 2300 sniper kit

300 for the cannon intake

200 for the adapter.

I believe you....

The first time I dealt with it I was helping someone else with the idea...

They used a stock manifold with a home made adapter....

And I believe the sniper was under 1000 at the time.... but I dont think that was the kit... 

The KA24E swap is the cheapest swap period. Especially if you can find a running donor truck. Last year, I was looking around for a donor and found one for $800. The donor will have everything you need to get it done.

Aside from and engine swap, rebuild the L20B and you'll be happy enough until you can afford to swap it out. Give the head a skim cut, stick in a warm cam and stiffer valve springs, and top it off with a recurved distributor, a Weber DGV and possibly a nice header, with a 2.25" exhaust. It will sound nice and crisp and you'll appreciate it more because you did the work.

In all the years I spent building Datsun motors, my favorite motors were ones built on the cheap. There's something about an inexpensive hotrod that makes it more fun to own and drive.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

GET IT RUNNING FIRST.  Even if you think its a waste of money.  It won't be.  The ability to stay motivated on a project is increase a million times over if you have a running vehicle.  Then you can gather money and source 90% of your parts while driving it around, even if only sometimes.  Waste the money, make it run.  Then decide your long term plans.  People who ignore this advice and just dive in deep have like a 90% failure rate of ever having their vehicle on the road.

Great advice, that was the fate of my first project

• Like 1