Weber 32/36 stalling issue

Veraciousreasoning

Hey all,

Got the weber installed and tuned the fast idle screw. When I give it gas it sounds really good. However, when I let it rest it sputters pretty bad. Wondering if anyone else with the 32/36 got any tricks up their sleeves for tuning this bad boy. I'd like to take her for a short drive tomorrow to test her out. 

Edit* also when I hit the peddle from the interior it barely increases. I checked the throttle cable and it doesn't seem to be able to pull the throttle all the way. Help! 

Edited by Veraciousreasoning
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Hey all,

Got the weber installed and tuned the fast idle screw. When I give it gas it sounds really good. However, when I let it rest it sputters pretty bad. Wondering if anyone else with the 32/36 got any tricks up their sleeves for tuning this bad boy. I'd like to take her for a short drive tomorrow to test her out. 

Edit* also when I hit the peddle from the interior it barely increases. I checked the throttle cable and it doesn't seem to be able to pull the throttle all the way. Help! .

Do you have a idle cut off solenoid.Mine will not run without it.It won't stay idled.It will die

Get a idle cut off solenoid.I use a Empi 43-5350 type with the o ring and .155 big jet.Mine will not stay idled with out it.You will need to remove jet holder screw,grind the piece next to the hole to make the solenoid fit in hole so you won't strip threads in Weber.You can get o rings at Harbor freight.Go to Empi site and order solenoid and big jet.The red wire goes to the solenoid and blue wire to choke.Dont over tighten the solenoid.Just snug.To check if it is working after installing,crank up and remove Solenoid wire and engine will stall.I have a you tube video to see.Tommy Perkins 1985 Nissan 720 4x4 Weber,Converson.

3 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Hey all,

Edit* also when I hit the peddle from the interior it barely increases. I checked the throttle cable and it doesn't seem to be able to pull the throttle all the way. Help! 

Post a picture of the throttle area, maybe installed wrong?

Put a brick on the gas pedal, then bolt the cable to the throttle while holding it fully open. This way when floored the throttle must be fully open.

Usually the stock Hitachi throttle linkage is swapped onto the Weber and everything must line up rather than be bent to the side..

image.thumb.jpeg.33daa25d88e8bc4402bb44c15b6f8313.jpeg

27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Put a brick on the gas pedal, then bolt the cable to the throttle while holding it fully open. This way when floored the throttle must be fully open.

Usually the stock Hitachi throttle linkage is swapped onto the Weber and everything must line up rather than be bent to the side..

image.thumb.jpeg.33daa25d88e8bc4402bb44c15b6f8313.jpeg

Thanks mike 

also side note on the idle jet.

the Manual32/35  5A man choke weber the idle jet holder is actually a different size its smaller so dont order a idle cut off till your sure its the right option.

if that throttle cableis just mashed up in the washers they will fail again.

If you can find that part I posted or used the stock one if you still have it maybe rockauto has cheap throttle cables with the ends

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
On 9/27/2023 at 11:21 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

yeah that looks a bit more on the hoky side that throttle cable install.

Most people use the stock carb linkage part where the end of cable fits in a round slot as Mike posted.

weberlinkage1.jpg

You got a part number for that so I can find it? My gf accidently threw away my old carb cause it was in a box that looked like junk :( 

To g/f everything is junk.

The '80 720 with L20B does display that part but not the number. The '79 L20B in the 620 truck, the A10 (HL510) and the S10 (200sx) use the same carburetor and all use the same part 16134-B-9200. I doubt you'll find this for sale separately. Instead start a want ad in classifieds... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

Every Datsun owner has several old carburetors laying around. Ask for this part from an L20B truck or these cars.

• Like 1

Geez you guys. It may seem like a contest now but later (if you are willing to learn, willing to work together, willing to change, willing to compromise, willing to be friends first) it will all work out at the end. If you are still arguing then, well that's on you.

14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Geez you guys. It may seem like a contest now but later (if you are willing to learn, willing to work together, willing to change, willing to compromise, willing to be friends first) it will all work out at the end. If you are still arguing then, well that's on you.

LOL! Been officially married thrice, unofficially many times. The officiallys were the trouble ones, the others, we parted peaceably, still talk with most what ain't dead. 

• Haha 1