71 2dr project

510er

So i have been posting this on the realm thought i might add it over hear to get some more insight. So here is the condensed version. I bought it across the water from seattle, and towed it home in july 08, sandblasted the hole thing and have started putting it back together.

Engine is a L20b block with Z22 internals and peanut head dual 40 mikunis

dogleg trans, rear sway bar, front coilovers tokio 5way illuminas...

2635129774_a34c308544.jpg?v=0

2634301801_d3c9d80dae.jpg?v=0

2634308485_5589b16b95.jpg?v=0

2657169611_9077a66fe2.jpg?v=0

I cut in some bearclaw latches in the doors for shaved handles. I also shaved the gas tank door and pretty much everything else side markers and what not.

PA310020.JPG71%20510%20013.jpg

IMG00020.jpg

No the studs arent crooked just a strange picture

3.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha the door latch is a bearclaw, they are mainly used in street rods but you shave the handle and attach the solenoid this and it eliminates the need for poppers the latch pushes the door out further so you can open it easy. with the 510 there wasnt much room to mount the latches because the window rails, thats why all the extra fab work. I spruced it up a bit with the roundedness... :D more to come on that later.

The console is out of a new 350z, im going to mount gagues in the bezel where the heater controls go

Nice progress makes me wanna go work on mine lol

Thanks! yea i hope to have some color in the engine bay within the next couple weeks, i cant paint when its this effing cold out though!:mad: so hopefully it warms up a bit after the new year so i can paint some shiz :fu:Weather

Speaking of paint, im doing the engine bay a semi gloss black, the car is still undecided im thinking of a deep candy cherry color, with either cream two tone or cream rally stripes/bre stripes but with my own twist

how did that spolier work out???Lookin good no one will ever pry that door open lol

And it was nice to meet you and thanks again :)

Thanks man, yea i fully expect a broken window at some point because some wanabe theif couldnt find a door handle :fu:... Im still on the fence about the spoiler, and sorry i didnt have more time to chat it up or get a beer. next time!

• 2 months later...

wow so i practicly let this thread die... i was nearly a dwnshifter making a new project thread... when i remembered i had one :fu:

update!!!

Right now the car is totally stripped and sitting no a chassis rack (wood frame with castors) I have been busting my ass welding and grinding and re-welding filling up all the holes in the engine bay. im done filling holes but have been busy straightening out the core support and making sure the fenders hang right off of it.

At one point the car was hit in the front left corner... and left side... and right rear quarter... and...:eek:

fuck it here are the pictures!

350z center console is going to look bad ass!!!:lol:

PA310032.JPG

before... :eek::eek::eek:

DSCF1060.JPG

AFTER:D :fu:rust:fu:

PC140039.JPG

cover for my door pins that go to my bear claw latches

IMG00017.jpg

i also filled the holes where the side markers go. Im not sure how you all like to do things like this but i find this way gives them more strength looks about the same when finished. First you use this bad ass tool that crimps the metal and work it around the hole you are patching...

IMG00011.jpg

you can see how its slightly lower closer to the hole... spray a bit of weld through primer... spot weld patch in place

IMG00013.jpg

IMG00014.jpg

then weld em up the rest of the way filling the gap you left between the lowered section and the patch.

after i do that ill spray it with the zinc spray arch to ensure its totally sealed up. pics of that to follow probably this weekend...

Looking good man!!!! I like the door latch set up. I do this all day long on the American Muscle and know what it's like. The only thing is I have to deal with a much bigger car.

The console will look killer when finished.

I think the color combo you talked about will work. Just woundering why you wouldn't do engine compartment the same?

Keep up the good work. :)

• 1 month later...

fuck its been along time since i have been able to frequent ratsun, I will get some pics up by monday i have done a bunch of rust repair to the front end and am nearing the paint phase for the engine compartment. progress has been really slow due to increased school load and work load and beer load... haha but i have 8 weeks to slam as much back together as i can so i may need some encouragement

• 2 weeks later...

okay so i feel like an idiot because i didnt take as many pics as i thought i did, I have been doing the rust repair of the front end of my dime so here are before and afters...

As it sits now,

71%20510%20006.jpg

the front passenger side inner fender

71%20510%20007.jpg

front core support and underside

71%20510%20014.jpg

its a bad picture but this is the underside of the core support, there were prob 60-80 pin size holes and about 25 pencil size holes

71%20510%20004.jpg

you can see alot of holes in the passenger inner fender

71%20510%20009.jpg

now here are the same parts in order after my repair

71%20510%20019.jpg

right and left front of core support

71%20510%20023.jpg

71%20510%20022.jpg

core support overall shot now there are no holes :)

71%20510%20021.jpg

also no more holes :)

71%20510%20020.jpg

Okay so here is the part where im made i didnt get pictures!!! there waere 3 large holes in the lower windshield frame, im sure most of you have seen this before one was slightly larger than a quarter and the other 2 were not as big

there gone now (passenger side)

71%20510%20018.jpg

this is the drivers side that hasnt been fixed yet there are holes in the windshield frame here too

71%20510%20012.jpg

well from the door frames forward are all ready to be prepped for paint, rust is all gone, all nice and straight all the holes are gone... woot lots of sanding to do this weekend then gotta find me some primer :) woot woot

check out my rust repair thread in the how to section here

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=7093

but a brief synopsis in semi-complex terms is... its a spray-arc-zinc-welder.... so basicly im prepping the metal then galvanizing it

http://www.rustbusters.com

my and my old man bought a welder from the above site and have been doing rust repair ever since. He has been building streetrods all his life and therefore so have I so it only fits that we do it together. Its a really bad ass system that has been around for 20 years but just now is getting some spotlight. I can say for 100% certainty that there is zero rust in the front of this 510 now! i sandblasted everythign to perfectly clean metal then i repaired all the affected areas and will now sand prime and paint. This dime has never been happier :)

PS Matt we could prob do some on the 620 this weekend or we will have to wait till i get back from michigan