1986 Nissan 720 king cab full restoration

builte

Never heard of DNJ.

I like to use Hastings sprayed chrome rings. They are a good balance between the durability of chrome, but they break in fast and can break in on a less than perfect bore, like a cast ring. If you have a local machine shop, stop in and ask them if they can get them. Local engine machine shops are also a great place to get bearings and gasket kits.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just went to their website, and I can only judge from the pics, but the rings are black, which indicates cast. Assuming the pics are of actual parts, and looking at rings packed in plastic bags. https://enginecomponents.com/products/engine-re-ring-kit-rrk601

A sprayed chrome ring is cast, but sprayed with a hard finish, and they are usually silver.

True chrome rings are usually a steel ring wrapped with a chromoly surface. The color tends to be shiny on the edge while gold-ish on the inside.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Thanks 1

I see blue overspray on the head too. My memory isn't clear but I think during those years, Nissan wasn't being so careful and they must have been painting the engines after they were assembled.

Of course, most engine rebuild shops paint the motors after assembly so that could be a sign that the motor has been rebuilt. The inside of the head, under the valve cover looks to clean for it to be original.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.0863ac101be1c881a1ac2c3bdaf2697e.jpeg

On 4x4 engines there is a strip pf metal that supports the oil pick up tube bolted there. The oil pans are much different than the 2wd.

image.jpeg.2ba9a8b964068c71e8c854b79aa87bf3.jpeg

This is the block vent tube that allows crankcase fumes to be drawn into the intake at the PCV valve. I don't see the EGR tube here.

image.jpeg.8f05dcf89a2918ef4bf569941594fa00.jpeg

Automatics have a small diameter vacuum line to the intake, usually on the fitting above that goes to the brake booster on the L series engines but I'm not sure on the Z series.  This allows the automatic to sense engine load and up-shift properly.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

It should start in any gear if the clutch pedal is down. Maybe the clutch switch is not working leaving only the neutral start.

My new '70 Dart had that interlock. I disconnected it so that if the engine quit I could use the starter to move the car.

• Thanks 1
On 12/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, datzenmike said:

It should start in any gear if the clutch pedal is down. Maybe the clutch switch is not working leaving only the neutral start.

My new '70 Dart had that interlock. I disconnected it so that if the engine quit I could use the starter to move the car.

It's an automatic lol sorry forgot to add that information