FS: NAPS-Z Dogleg Trans

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

DSCF0045.jpg

This tranny will only accept the front case from an L series 5spd dogleg. It's likely from an '80-'81 HLA10. It's a short tail and won't fit in a Z car.

Damn dude is there anything you don't know about datsun's ? :lol:

could you take a straight on shot of the bellhousing.I think iam not 100% sure but i had 1 bolted to a L18 it sat way over to the right i had to modify the hole it the tunnel and made a mount for it i used the stock isolater.I got the set up in a dime i bought 4 years a go. LOL i wonder were their that went :lol:

A NAPS Z tranny mounted on an L series motor will twist or lean the tranny center line 12 degrees to the right placing the shifter close to the passenger's seat. Just remove the shifter and bend it to the left by this amount about 2" above the mounting pin or enough to clear the 'ears' above the pin. See picture below.

DSCF0043.jpg

Easy to tell an L from a Z tranny. Look at this tranny. Look straight along the top center line to the 'bell'. See that thin casting line? Follow it up to the bolt holes to the motor. There will be a bolt hole about a inch to one side or the other of that line. If the hole is to the right (as shown) it's a Z tranny. If the bolt hole is an inch to the left, it's for an L series.

All you have to remember is 'LEFT IS L'. Anything else is a Z.

You can clearly see that if the bolt pattern were rotated to the right 12 degrees, As in an L series tranny, the bolt hole on the far left would move over to about an inch from the center line. This also applies to the FS5W71B and the F4W71B. I believe that the dogleg shown is an FS5W63L tranny.

Freaky, how did it run? shift fine like that? I've heard of doing this but it's kind of 'in theory' unless you talk to someone who has done it or driven one.

Edited by datzenmike

i really liked it after i got it a bent in to shape.Then i smoked it because the speedo cable wasnt long enough and not ruuning i wouldnt leak so after a few races and being a complete idiot i never noticed the leak and smoked it.

idk if it was the gear ratio of what but it was quick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.