720 Alternator Plug

Stinky

Has anybody had any luck finding a plug for the Alternator on an '86 720?

My Charge light was flashing.  I figured that it was the Alternator, or at least it needed to be tested.  I started digging and I learned that the plug was messed up.  

I looked it up on Rockauto, and it showed it being a Dorman 85125 (Which I got at Oreilly).  Checking on the Napa website, it crossed over to a Eclin EC69 (a good PN).  I went to Napa....it is larger.  The PN showes that it is for a Ford Alternator.  I bought it, and it would not fit.  The Oreilly part (Dorman) was cheaper.  So, I cut it in half and started in on it w/my grinder.  I tirmmed it down to the size of the original plug.  Once I got it thin enough to fit the slot, the 2 pieces plugged in....nice and tight BTW.

I consider this to be a temporary fix.  Anybody got any leads on an Alternator Lead (pun intended)?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if they did that when they went to FI on the 720s?

I have a plug like in the link, w/about 6" of wire, and then in to a plug sorta like that,

https://www.autozone.com/power-tools/electrical-socket?filterByKeyWord=85125&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&isSearchByPartNumber=true

I just looked up my alternator....it looks like it is supposed to have a plug like you are talking about, but I seem to have an alternator for an older PU

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3373620&cc=1210295&pt=2412&jsn=912

I converted my 710's 50 amp to a much late 2002 Altima 100 amp alternator. Rather than cut the original harness I made this...

JaiW9uc.jpg

I drove it for several years with the wires reversed and only noticed it when I installed a volt gauge. Switched them and no harm done.

• Like 1
On 7/8/2023 at 8:57 AM, datzenmike said:

I drove it for several years with the wires reversed and only noticed it when I installed a volt gauge. Switched them and no harm done.

When the battery voltage dropped far enough the alternator would just start charging. Never noticed this for years, never failed or struggled to start though. I was driving at night through western Wash. and the lights grew dimmer and dimmer and I was getting worried so I honked the horn to give me some indication of battery strength and the lights dimmed and then shot up to full brilliance and it was charging. The 720 volt gauge was definitely below 12v but jumped up into the charge range. When I got home I solved the problem, the two wires were reversed.

Usually the Auto part 50 amp Alternators come with the pig tail and the 60 amp does not.I replaced mine last year and I am using a 60 amp alternator and it does not have a pig tail.My original pig tail fits in it.So the 50 and 60 amp has different fittings on some,depends where you go,I guess..Here is my 60 amp Alternator.I  have a extra fitting.I have one right here that is like new.I had my 720 for over 29 years and when I first bought it back then.The first alternator I put on it was from Auto Zone,and it came with a life time warranty.So I never ever had to buy another.I was using the 50 amp one's and had electrical problems and finally realized it was because I need a 60 amp one.And the problem went away.I remember one time,My alternator went bad,it was the 50 amp type.I took the pig tail off and kept it.So the 50 and 60 amp alternators fittings are different and the 60 amp one is bigger.People say the Auto Zone alternators are junk,but that is the first one I put on my 720 and stayed with it because of the warranty.

100_0662.jpg

100_0661.jpg

100_0660.jpg

100_9483.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thomas and Datzen.

I finally got it going.  I was thinking about that plug, and now I can't use it.  

Datzen, just before you posted, I figured out that I did not have a Charge-Light when the motor was not running, like when you first turn the key to on.  It charged, I think.  The battery did not go dead and the lights did not get dim when driven w/the lights on.

So, after being out of town for a week, I finally got around to it.  I cut the plug and re-attached the plug, w/the wires crossed. 

Originally, the red-orange went together, black and white together.    That was wrong.  It is now set up up Red-White, B;lack-Orange, I think.

I coulda trimmed the plugs some more and get them to plug in.  The way the plugs fit the alternator, it was easier to do that.  The plugs plugged in securely, w/no wobble, so I went dat way.