1965 Green paint color

Java

Hello, I have a 1965 l320 with pretty bad paint in some places. I love the look of the stock turquoise-green paint and would like to keep it that color however after a cursory search online, I couldn't find the paint name or code. I went to a local auto paint place and they said the closest they could do to match the paint is a slightly modified 1981 Porsche "mint green".  Anyone know a better way? thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The old codes aren't in the system anymore--I don't think a name or code would do you any good. I think a match on the best paint left on your truck is the best you'll get. 

How about the inside of your glove box door? Could you shine that up and have it matched?

If it doesn't have rot, why not leave the paint alone? Patina tells a story of the vehicle's past. One that can't be re-told once it is covered up.

Beware that newer paints tend to be more glossy than older paints, so touching anything up without doing an entire respray will be obvious to the eye. The paint shop should be smart enough to know this, but maybe mention it when you're having them match the color.

A scan or a match-up with a sample set by a auto-paint store guy or body shop guy with a good eye that mixes it's own paints will be your best bet. I've had several paints matched to areas that have minimal discoloration over the years by local shops using both digital spectragraph and the sample sets with good results; and I live in a smaller community with limited services. Here's a vintage color chart for early Datsun that I have a scan of.

Paint Codes Datsun 60's-70's.jpg

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the advice and color chart! Sadly the truck has a lot of rot. I'm starting grad school in two weeks so don't have the time/budget to restore the truck (yet) but want to protect it from getting any worse.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Java said:

Thanks again for the advice and color chart! Sadly the truck has a lot of rot. I'm starting grad school in two weeks so don't have the time/budget to restore the truck (yet) but want to protect it from getting any worse.

What about just some clearcoat over the spots you are concerned about.. I see that plenty of time being done where they just clearcoat a whole vehicle over the rusty patina... 

That should buy you enough time....

• Like 1
On 6/20/2023 at 7:02 PM, Java said:

Hello, I have a 1965 l320 with pretty bad paint in some places. I love the look of the stock turquoise-green paint and would like to keep it that color however after a cursory search online, I couldn't find the paint name or code. I went to a local auto paint place and they said the closest they could do to match the paint is a slightly modified 1981 Porsche "mint green".  Anyone know a better way? thanks

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, thought i'd update this thread with the color I ended up getting.  This was color matched by a local paint shop. Its not perfect but close enough for me to be happy with it.  Maybe i'll post a thread about the truck when its finished, but still in school and stretched too thin to write at the moment. Thanks for the help I've received on here so far.
53518056917_b7dff0d523_b.jpg

• Like 2