Throttle Linkage

uieluck

Does anybody know where I can buy new linkage for my throttle control? The ball joints pop off when getting jiggy with the gas pedal.

Or better yet, is there a better option? This is from a 1971 Datsun 510, with a L20 with a Weber. Thanks!

IMG_7195.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check online for  mower steering linkage bearing ends.  They maybe larger than what you have and you may need to make a shaft to fit.

The better solution is to extend the rod by cutting and welding in a short piece, then remove the spacer at the firewall. This will put your linkage pieces back in line with each other and stop the binding and popping off.

I once DNF'd a race because of that and started lengthening the main linkage rod. Never failed after that.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The better solution is to extend the rod by cutting and welding in a short piece, then remove the spacer at the firewall. This will put your linkage pieces back in line with each other and stop the binding and popping off.

I once DNF'd a race because of that and started lengthening the main linkage rod. Never failed after that.

Stoffregen,,,, Can I see a picture for an example? Thank you!

• Like 1

In datzenmike's last post, the first pic, it looks like the pivot for the right side looks like it is out of center. Maybe the bearing is worn out. Not necessarily the cause of the problem, but it's not good if what I think I'm seeing is correct.

Don

So the main problem here is that a Weber sits further away from the firewall than the stock carb linkage piece. What do guys do? They put a spacer on the firewall, between the linkage pivot and the firewall, then secure it with longer screws.

What I am suggesting is - remove the spacer(s), then cut the linkage rod and lengthen it by welding in a new piece of round steel.  This makes the linkage rod longer, eliminating the need for the spacer, and restoring the geometry of the linkage rods.