New Engine

That Ol 720

Old Z24 engine just went out and so im looking to get a remanufactured engine with 0 miles to buy for an engine swap over the summer. I've been looking for about a week, but a lot of them have bad reviews. Just curious if you guys have any insight to any quality engine rebuilders for the z24. I tried Jegs and ATK but they weren't able to rebuild my engine for 5 months due to a parts shortage. Don't really know if thats a nation wide shortage or whatever it is, but i did try them. Thanks bros

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As said, at least one of us enjoys Jaspers.  Looks like, one has to do it through a shop/installer.  

There is a pricing tool, they may no longer do z24's or z20's, or at least keep a rebuildable core around.

https://www.jasperengines.com/find-an-installer

I'd say, probably have to call them to see what they will do for you on a z24

800-827-7455

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Guy on here Thomas Perkins has a Jasper remanufactured engine. He seems to like them.

Jasper no longer sells 720 engines.I called a few weeks back and they said they no.longer remanufacture them.They are good though. I have 102,000 miles on mine and my wife has a 2004 Lincoln LS  with a remanufacture transmission from them.I would stay away from Auto Zone ,Advance and Orielly's.The Jasper installer that put mine in wife's

has cancer and he no longer is mechanicing, he is taking care of his wife.He also put my new heating and air in.I would ask him about where to get a engine.I could drive by there.His phone is not taking calls.He worked on my 720 for over 20 years.He is renting his building out to someone that is painting vehicles.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Back in 2009 is when I had my Jasper 2.4 engine installed.The engine was 1900 and labor and parts were 1200.It is a 4x4.The clutch needed replacing and he put one from Napa in it with no labor charge.He put new castoil motor oil with new Wik filter , new thermostat, new coolant,new ngk spark plugs.new exhaust and intake studs, new intake and exhaust gaskets.New oil pan gaskets,new oil pump gaskets.New head gaskets ,send head to machine shop.pressure test and valves adjusted.new water hoses ,new belts.New down pipe gasket.New distributor cap and rotor, new coils.

• Like 1

If you look hard enough a lot of engines have small cracks between bead bolts and water jacket. A lot more are out there and they work just fine till taken apart and the owner freaks. It can't get out, the hole is blind, there's a head gasket seal to the head and the tops of the bolts have a washer and torqued to 60 ft lbs.

Here's a solution that is too simple. Weld it up...

tWZf1aB.jpg

... and have it decked...

njiKmxp.jpg

• Like 1

Some day maybe but  the way I look at it this wasn't broken off it was stressed and cracked from thousands of heat cycles. The crack is a stress reliever so no reason to crack again.

... and not mine so very confident it fine.

• Like 1

Yeah i guess a cracked block would not count as a rebuild able core. I bought one of those "used Japanese engines" in the late 90s. It was a z 24 for like $500. Ran it for 20 years, good motor and was running strong when I pulled it for the KA swap. No hits on craigslist so I took it to the scrapyard.

I bought another used Japanese engine 3 years ago for the wife's 2007 rav 4. Her engine siezed because it sat for 6 months without being started. It was the only car we have had this happen to and the only car with synthetic oil. I don't think synthetic prevents rust like conventional oil.

The car lives under a stilt home for the summer on a saltwater canal in Florida. The humidity is off the charts and high winds will carry salt in the air from wave action. Cylinders were rusted.  Car hadn't been started in 6 months. The other vehicles were fine but that is the only one I run synthetic in. That's my theory and I am sticking to it. I have a buddy starting the cars every 3 weeks now.

puF2ALz.jpgbpZezJt.jpgMyq5e7b.jpgI have a Jasper engine.Got it back in 2009.I called a few weeks ago for someone here and they said they don't do them Nissan 2.4's any more.But you would have to have a Jasper installer do it back then.But it came with a Nation wide 3 year or 100,000 mile warranty,what ever came first.I now have 103,000 on it.Still like new.My wife had Jack install a Jasper transmission in her 2004 Lincoln LS  about 3 years ago and it is still like new.It was well worth going Jasper cause it was done right.That is why  my 720 is top notch cause Jack has done the major work on it.He even upgraded my heating and air.I just work more hours to pay for it.A good thing about Jasper is,if anything goes wrong with it under warranty,They replace the engine or transmission with no charge.Jack told me Jasper pays the best in case he has to replace it if something is wrong.All the auto part stores don't pay shit so he won't install them.Plus you only get a 90 day warranty from Auto Part stores.Stay away from Auto Zone,O'Reilly's and Advance.With the bad crack you have.Junk it and find a remanufactured engine.No shop will touch that.See the mileage on my Jasper paper work.I now have 386,000 on it.Here it is.See the black paint around the front by the radiator and  by the front fenders..The paint shop did that when they painted the truck.Check out my plastic radiator.Lifetime warranty.Been using that type for 29 years.Bought the first one many moons ago and never have to buy another.The last one lasted 12 years.When they go out,I take the water pump off too and go get a free one.K3kd17c.jpglAzEQ14.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
On 5/26/2023 at 9:26 AM, datzenmike said:

By that reasoning every car in Florida under similar conditions would have this problem.

Some do. Lots of screaming deals in Florida on cars with siezed brakes, dead electronics and other issues for sale on Craigslist in the fall when people return from up north. 

• Like 1

You can get the hurricane cars but probably no title.In Alabama when they have floods,them vehicles are for sell everywhere.A friend got one but no title,the bottom was red clay everywhere.The car lots that sell to people with bad credit have them cars,knowing you will never get it paid for and they have no title.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thomas Perkins said:

You can get the hurricane cars but probably no title.In Alabama when they have floods,them vehicles are for sell everywhere.A friend got one but no title,the bottom was red clay everywhere.The car lots that sell to people with bad credit have them cars,knowing you will never get it paid for and they have no title.

Shady.

• Like 1