Wire one Datsun with wiring from a different datsun

sick620

Ok so I have a 2 door 510 that came stripped to paint and only came with half a harness the half that goes inside car and it’s already spliced and modified a bit. I have access to some rusty 620 trucks and I had the crazy idea of just stripping the wiring from a 620 labeling everything then installing it in the 510.. I have access to 3 complete 620 trucks without anything missing from any of them so I can remove everything I need from the best one….obviously I will have to work through some things like the tail lights etc will have to be spliced in probably. Possibly the 510 ignition switch will be different and I’ll have to run a push button start or something. Otherwise seems pretty straightforward as long as I get the whole harness.. any thoughts on things that might cause me an issue? I can keep the alternator, starter etc the same type as whatever wiring i use(internally regulated alternator wiring will have matching internally regulated alternator etc) 

Keep in mind this is not a restoration and I’m not caring about value of the car. I only care about function this is going to just be a fun drivers car. I have way more experience with 620 truck wiring than I do 510 wiring not that they are more complicated really I’m sure but I should know what I’m looking at with the 620 harness and I think that will make it easy.. 

Am I crazy?

Edited by sick620
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel level sender use the same ohms on a 620 as on a 510?

temp gauge should function the same on the different style gauges I’m sure right? 

I am not too worried about heater blower control because I’m just going to hook up a small hotrod heater in the 510.

I’m assuming that the wiper motor works the same on the different Datsuns

Edited by sick620

My comment is "You crazy!" 😜 Unless you are an electrical wizard, why try to put yourself thru that?

That said, I might have a good dash harness & a good tail harness..................what year 510?  I do NOT have every year/application.  The engine compartment section is the hardest to find, cuz they were out in the weather & most were cut hacked up horribly modified/repaired.  Most of the one year application sections do NOT plug in to the other year applications.  Let me know what year, happy to try to help! 

1968 only

1969 only

early 1970 only

late 1970-1972 basically same

1973 only

I’d just get any year 510 engine bay harness and modify it.  The slight differences will be easier to deal with than a 620 harness.   I just fixed up my 68 harness using later years.  If you got the skill to make. 620 harness work you will be able to get a different year 510 harness to work.  Way less time because everything will be the correct length.  

• Like 2
On 4/9/2023 at 4:18 PM, yenpit said:

My comment is "You crazy!" 😜 Unless you are an electrical wizard, why try to put yourself thru that?

That said, I might have a good dash harness & a good tail harness..................what year 510?  I do NOT have every year/application.  The engine compartment section is the hardest to find, cuz they were out in the weather & most were cut hacked up horribly modified/repaired.  Most of the one year application sections do NOT plug in to the other year applications.  Let me know what year, happy to try to help! 

1968 only

1969 only

early 1970 only

late 1970-1972 basically same

1973 only

1972 sent you a pm. 

• Like 1