New to the 620 crew

dadson_project

Hi everyone, my name is Jon, I just purchased this 73’ 620 as a project for my 8 year old and I to start on, teach him some mechanics and the joy of renovating a car with his dad, looks pretty good and minimal rust. Runs and drives, lowered from previous owner. I think I need to fine tune the engine and get it running pristine, Speedo doesn’t work, temp gauge also not registering. After looking under the hood looks like temp sensor wire is cut. So once I get it running good, what are some of the first things I should focus on? I considered taking off the bed and cab to clean up surface rust in frame and do rust prevention. Then moving onto changing out front suspension as all joints and bushing are blown. Then doing a disk conversion. Not sure what order of things you professionals recommend. Thanks for any help. Hopefully these links work, I think I learned the hard way about posting on my phone. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/celh7f24xu1a747/Photo Mar 26 2023%2C 10 16 20 AM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l57ynggdnclmeim/Photo Mar 28 2023%2C 9 10 58 PM (1).jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zi74svx5ul0drs/Photo Mar 28 2023%2C 9 10 58 PM.jpg?dl=0

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As yopu probably don't have the maintenance records assume this owner didn't do anything nor the owner before that. I would right away change all the lubricants and fluids.

Differential GL-5 around 90w. Don't top up replace. A little over 1 qt.

Transmission GL-4. Don't top up replace. A little over 2 qt. Top up steering box with GL-4

Engine oil I use Shell Rotella T4 10w30. This is an oil with proper ZDDP levels

Drain coolant and refill 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water.

Inspect fan belts and all hoses. Hoses rot from the inside out so not always visible they are bad. If soft replace.

Inspect cap/rotor/wires and plugs. If they look bad.... they are. Use only NGK plugs B6ES

Grease the king pins. Check king pins for wear

Grease U joints if they have fitting, seplace any bad U joints.

Inspect the carrier bearing rubber isolator for rot. 

10" drum brakes are more than good enough for a 620. Disc brakes won't stop any faster but disc brakes are simpler and easier to maintain, in fact there is almost no maintenance or adjusting. I'd leave this for last. Having the drum brakes properly adjusted is the big thing.

Check the front tires are not wearing unevenly and that all four are the same size and make.

Best money spent that improves the ride are new good quality shock absorbers.

Better to have it running reliably than looking good on the side of the road.

• Like 3

Thanks for the recommendations. The owner I got it from just did an oil change, changed spark plugs, and wires, and put new tires. The guy bought it for his wife but she ended up not wanting it and he had like 5 other projects so I took it off his hands haha. Looking at the engine bay alternator, starter and all that stuff looks pretty old. Belt looks to be fairly new, no cracks at all. He put an electric fuel pump because he said the mechanical pump was defective from oriellys. Debating on keeping that on there and wiring it to turn on with the key versus having to manually put the wire on the battery before start up. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l57ynggdnclmeim/Photo Mar 28 2023%2C 9 10 58 PM (1).jpg?dl=0

Make sure the pump is the correct psi rating... 3-4 psi is all you need... if the pump is rated for more it can be an issue....

Also consider an oil pressure switch to control the fuel pump.... 

The one I use send power when triggered by the starter and then the oil pressure keeps the circuit alive...

No oil pressure pump stops...

You dont always want the pump running if the key is on....

• Like 1