Wheel alignment

tad70

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when you install the center link you want the pitman and idler arm parallels with each other and the frame when the wheels are straight. you can use the string method on the back wheels to ensure the front wheels are straight - lookup alignment string method.  From there you can dial in you toe in/out. If you have adjustable outers use those to adjust rather than the center link. Really you should have a shop to align it perfectly but i got mine good with the string method, although you have to be very accurate with measurements and check multiple times. 

• Like 1

It's always a good idea to adjust the links to the same length as the ones you've removed.

When installing right and left TREs on a tie rod, I always install the joints one turn, and then spin the center link to adjust the length. Doing this means that both TREs have the same amount of thread engagement.

As you know there are R&L hand threads so turning the link one way draws the wheels inward (toe in) and out the other.

I set up two parallel string lines on stakes driven into the ground. Must be stout and the string tight as guitar strings. Use any method you like but both strings must be parallel, wide enough to drive the truck between and at the height of the axle above ground that is flat.

Drive the truck straight between the two parallel strings. Measure the distance between the string and the front of the rims on both sides and record. Now between the strings and the rear edge of the rims. Add the two fronts and then the two rears. If the front is narrower than the rear the alignment, is toed in, if wider it's toed out. If adjustment is needed turn the cross link. Be sure to bounce the front of the truck to settle the tires. When the two front measurements are  2-3mm (0.08"-0.11") narrower than the two rear measurements you are about in the middle of the '73 620 toe in alignments pecs of 1-5mm.

It's tedious picky work and you should be able to back out and drive in between the strings again and repeat and get the same difference. Once done don't forget to tighten the lock nuts on the cross rod.

This is at least as good as an alignment shop. Like I said the '73 is between 1mm and 5mm of toe in, so as long as in that range you're good.