Dash Cutout Question On 320

difrangia

I've been under the dash of the 320 numerous times working on all the gadgets on both sides stuffed up under there and never noticed this cutout before. Dr. Electric (Virgil), the only other owner of a NL in Oklahoma that I know of, that is the twin of mine called my attention to the cutout. It's on the right side of the dash in the lowermost horizontal panel couple inches from the kick panel. I'm guessing that the Aussie RHD pickups have the cutout in the left end of the dash ?? What the heck is the cutout for for ?? If I had to guess, I'd say it either had something to do with the optional package tray or a courtesy light of some kind. 

Picture uploaded upside down.

Steve in OK

320 Datsun Passenger Side Dash Cutout.jpg

Edited by difrangia
Explain pic upload
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Tell my kids that...

Crap, Matt, that's outta my wheelhouse. Got the kids raised over thirty years ago, been thru grands, and now a teen-age great-gran and they all seem to have turned out well. I've almost arrived.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Holy shit you're old.

I started late.

Old & Lucky. I've been close enuf to knock on the door a few times but still here and chuggin' along; turn 3/4 of a century this year if ..............

• Like 1
Guy in northern Europe on the FaceBook 320 forum posted that his 312 Bluebird has the cutout but nothing in it. He asked on a Japanese forum and got these pics of an optional 12V outlet option on the Deluxe Bluebird. Little bird is doin a bit of cleanup with a little vacumn running out of the outlet.

Steve in OK

Optional 12V Outlet Under Dash on 312 Bluebird #1.jpg

Optional 12V Outlet Under Dash on 312 Bluebird #2.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The Land Cruisers have a 12 volt port with two screw holes. It looks like a standard two prong 120 volt outlet. If you want one, I can send you one to try.

I'd love to try it out in my NL. Does anyone know if there are terminals tucked into the wire harness right there? When plugging stuff in does it matter if it's a pos ground vehicle? 

It's be super functional to put a USB terminal there for charging a phone or running a bluetooth speaker. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

I'd love to try it out in my NL. Does anyone know if there are terminals tucked into the wire harness right there? When plugging stuff in does it matter if it's a pos ground vehicle? 

It's be super functional to put a USB terminal there for charging a phone or running a bluetooth speaker. 

If the unit you're powering is isolated from ground, then polarity doesn't matter. You could feasibly install a USB charger with normal pos to pos, neg to neg and not have a meltdown.