ISO NYC (or near by) MECHANIC

Hey gang im back again.

About 6 months ago I packed up all my belongings into good ole Wayne and headed cross the country to New York.... I made it to missouri. Honestly I am just a dumb ass who pushed their luck and exceeded the bed capacity and kinda just prayed it would work and you know what Wayne made it pretty damn far. I should have been towing, I should have been towing, I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOWING. But alas, by the time i hit st louis Wayne was making chirping and grinding noises. I decided to leave it at a firestone (unfortunately) and they essentially did nothing. They said they couldnt find another transmission that was in better condition than mine, and that they werent equipt to rebuild it. On the plus side they said outside of that my car is in excellent condition, but anyways its been there for 5/6 months and now im just gonna have it shipped back to my home in NYC. I dont know any car people out here or mechanics that I trust and wanted to reach out to yall to see if you have any suggestions or tips! thanks in advance y'all, really looking forward to getting   wayne back on the road.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NYC is not my neighborhood any more, but I would imagine finding someone to work on a 40 year old Datsun there is like a needle in a hay stack. Maybe you'd get better mechanic options in Jersey, or Hudson Valley. Broaden the search, look on Yelp, make some calls. Either way, it's likely cheeper to buy a used trans than to rebuild one. 

Edited by paradime
15 hours ago, ratboi3000 said:

I am still desperately looking for a mechanic in NYC that can help with a transmission rebuild if anyone sees this lmao

I'm not really a mechanic by trade but I have wrenched on every aspect of my datsun and my other vehicles... I only pay for it when absolutely necessary or it's one of those things I just dont have the time to deal with... I have done a full rebuild on my 71b 5spd... even pulled it apart a second time years later to replace a worn synchro and a broken shift fork.... 

With that said I'm about 200 miles north in leominster Massachusetts,  if you cant find anyone closer let me know.... although I'm not looking for things to do I'm more than willing to help get a datsun back on the road...

We can pull it apart together and see what it needs.... 

18 hours ago, ratboi3000 said:

I am still desperately looking for a mechanic in NYC that can help with a transmission rebuild if anyone sees this lmao

Manual or auto?

car-part.com for used parts. It's a wrecking yard database that is searchable by region.

Auto trans results. Too many to show in screenshot.

image.thumb.png.d63073b59695a3caf8ed7f47c30bc3a0.png

• Like 1