L16 alternator mount

ttyR2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was flipping through "How To Keep Your Datsun/Nissan Alive" and it mentions the 521 has a steel plate for a mounting bracket, so maybe the one on this 521 is technically correct but someone buggered up the threads. I'll pull it off and have a look.

Would one of the nicer cast iron mounts fit as a replacement? On further research, I see the older mount from an L20B (and others) mounts the alternator slightly lower, but the 720 mount moves it up 3/4" or so...maybe the ticket to clear the steering gear on the 521. I don't know...anyone?

L16  blocks only use two threaded mounting holes for the alternator bracket. Poor design... I had the bolts snap off in the block. L20B and up blocks use three bolt mounts in a much better triangulated pattern. L18s? not sure could be 3 bolt.

Well...with your guys input, I guess what I have *is* OEM...even though it looks janky to me. So I'll pull it off, make sure it's straight, and chase the threads, and re-assemble with good 10.9 hardware.

Is there enough meat on the two threaded bosses on the block that they could be opened up for bolts one size larger? Just asking for trouble? Not sure I could get a drill in there anyway.

Pulled the lower mount off and noticed someone had done a bit of a bodge-job on welding a new nut inside of the front ear. Chasing it with a tap cleaned it up and it's all back together again. I'll keep an eye on the mount.

• Like 1

521 are a sheetmetal type alt mount, and only really work with the l16 as they use the smaller bolts in the block and the ears of the alternator.

l18/20 mounts use the BIGGERR bolts in the block

I strick with the 35amp alt on the 521.  they weak so learn how to use your power wisely,

buy a couple of these and use them. They work. different version out there but you can monitor your system while you drive, idle ect when a load on.

believe me use this instead of waiting to be on side of the road. if it says you not charging your not chargin. dont wait for a idiot light to come on.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-batteryalternator-tester-57331.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=425671834&campaignid=425671834&utm_content=1166582863634027&adsetid=1166582863634027&product=57331&store=&msclkid=39c465a2f4cd17329a580752c34b0e47

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

L16  blocks only use two threaded mounting holes for the alternator bracket. Poor design... I had the bolts snap off in the block. L20B and up blocks use three bolt mounts in a much better triangulated pattern. L18s? not sure could be 3 bolt.

22 hours ago, ttyR2 said:

So the L16 block itself only has two mounting holes...bummer.

It depends on the date of manufacture. Later "JDM" blocks in L16 and L18 had three mounting bosses.

For the cast iron piece, I drill out the center between the two small bolt holes that hold the alternator to the bracket, and run a long bolt all the way through and put a nut and lock washer on the end. A used head bolt works great.