working on the dash.....

Llittle_Llama

so i have a cracked dash, yeah i know, only one here. so i thought so myself, why not waste some money and learn a little more than i do and glass it. so i did. i was almost done so i bolted it back together and not as happy with it as i thought i would be, so back to the drawing board. well here are the pics so far, i will be covering it in vinyl in a week or so (already bought) as well as making new door panels. more pics to come as i get more done :) i removed the AC and heater so no need for vents, and the glove box is a joke anyway, so out with it. the center section will be glassed and covered also and will house my garmin as i have no speedometer. I will also be putting my autometer monster tach and matching gas gauge in the gauge area. i will be making a center console within a few weeks after i install my MR2 seats adn that is where the stereo will be i install one.

HPIM1589.jpg

HPIM1590.jpg

HPIM1591.jpg

HPIM1592.jpg

HPIM1597.jpg

HPIM1598.jpg

HPIM1600.jpg

HPIM1601.jpg

HPIM1605.jpg

HPIM1606.jpg

HPIM1607.jpg

HPIM1608.jpg

HPIM1609.jpg

HPIM1611.jpg

HPIM1612.jpg

HPIM1613.jpg

HPIM1614.jpg

HPIM1616.jpg

HPIM1617.jpg

Edited by dwnshfter
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's just in there right now for a test fit, i don't like the little "ledge" that there is between the dash and the metal part on the back, i think i am going to grind the dash down and mold them together before I cover it and do it all one color. the reason there are gouges on the dash on the back is as i was sanding it the trash can was cutting into it really bad, I would have moved it to the ground, but i hurt myself last weekend doing a PT test and cant move very well.

lookin pretty good, the ridge on back side by the metal is how they all look, if u mold it be careful to not let the dash tweek or bend when u reinstall as it will crack along that spot, covered or not u will be able to see it, i have done many dashes, with upholstery and glass, both ways..and have tried to mold, and they always crack there..our trucks do take a beatin when they r driven, road vibration is the worst, make sure to use a good epoxy to resin the 2 pieces together, then mold over with your glass hair..use the epoxy as a sort of filler also..any questions pm or message me, i will be glad to walk u thru it, and be careful with your injury, can't work, and or work on your truck if u don't get better..:D

you pussy! much harder if you actually keep all of the contours and switch mounts like I did, you took the easy way out. Anybody coulda done that, lol:lol:

You coulda saved yourself a lot of time and grief by actually glassing the whole dash rather than trying to fill all of that with kitty hair.

I'm worried about your fibre-strand being so thick in some areas and cracking out.

i SO dont have the patients for all the little stuff! i know i pussed out on that one but i will be alright :D i was planning on epoxy-ing the gap before i mold it. i have already started reinforcing the back side and "welding" the 2 parts together. it god willing wont crack. i was thinking of actually glassing the whole dash but i was afraid of the resin melting the dash and fucking it up more that it already was. rained REALLY hard today, so nothing getting done today, tomorrow maybe. i was also thinking of doing the fur on the dash like PCD did on his door panels...still up in the air.

well since i hated that lip so much i took out the trusty Dewalt angle grinder and carved it all off. i took it back apart and epoxied the dash together then screwed it back again. let it sit for a night then started the shaving :D here are the pics from today :) will finish it up tomorrow me hopes.... will paint it and keep it in the truck for about a week then cover it once i know i am happy with it for sure. thinking of killing the lip on the sides too, not 100% sure yet though..... still thinking of doing a full glass on it before I'm done too....not really liking the way its turning out. please post your comments as to what you think, no matter how harsh, i want to do this once and do it right!

Edited by dwnshfter

How many patients do you have?

ALso, what is that product? Doesn't look like any resin I have ever used. Looks to thick and without any cloth it is going to crack to shit...

I glassed one 15 yrs ago with fiberglass resin and cloth, came out good.

i SO dont have the patients for all the little stuff! i know i pussed out on that one but i will be alright :D i was planning on epoxy-ing the gap before i mold it. i have already started reinforcing the back side and "welding" the 2 parts together. it god willing wont crack. i was thinking of actually glassing the whole dash but i was afraid of the resin melting the dash and fucking it up more that it already was. rained REALLY hard today, so nothing getting done today, tomorrow maybe. i was also thinking of doing the fur on the dash like PCD did on his door panels...still up in the air.

its fiberglass bondo, has short strands in it. is pretty good for building, i have used it in the past and never had any real issues. I know it's not the best way, but i like to go thick and sand down rather than not put enough several times. i don't do this with the bondo, i like to do several thin coats and try to add as little as i can each time. like i said though, i will most likely do a sheet of mat and resin before i cover it though.