Water pump thread size

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrected your profile. There are a lot of differences between 2wd and 4wd trucks so it's good to know.  

Definitely the differential need to be dropped slightly to properly get at the oil pan.

iuGaIzW.jpg

This is my '80 4x4 oil pan. The differential tucks tightly up under the right side. (left in the picture) The '81 and on 4x4 with Z series engines were mirror opposites with the differential on the left side.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Corrected your profile. There are a lot of differences between 2wd and 4wd trucks so it's good to know.  

Definitely the differential need to be dropped slightly to properly get at the oil pan.

iuGaIzW.jpg

This is my '80 4x4 oil pan. The differential tucks tightly up under the right side. (left in the picture) The '81 and on 4x4 with Z series engines were mirror opposites with the differential on the left side.

Yeah this is a fuck ton of work and im really nervous/scared cause ive never done anything like this before. I feel like im gonna fuck it up cause im doing this outside without a engine jack. 

You think it may be easier for me to just get an engine jack and pull the entire engine out? 

As I have said many times. No mechanic today works on Datsuns many have never even seen one Many were born decades after the last Datsun was made. You would have to be a 60+ years old mechanic to have worked on this new.

That said, YOU know as much about your truck as any mechanic today. YOU are just as expert as they are. So you have two choices....

1/ You pay a mechanic's wages (what's the average mechanic rate per hour???) for him to learn how to do this, or

2/ You learn how to do this and get to keep the knowledge for yourself.

This is simple wrenching and the cost of a few gaskets. The broken bolt is unknown as yet. With luck there is a protruding nub that can be twisted out, if not some careful drilling is needed. I would gue$$ about a half hour of mechanic's rate. 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

As I have said many times. No mechanic today works on Datsuns many have never even seen one Many were born decades after the last Datsun was made. You would have to be a 60+ years old mechanic to have worked on this new.

That said, YOU know as much about your truck as any mechanic today. YOU are just as expert as they are. So you have two choices....

1/ You pay a mechanic's wages (what's the average mechanic rate per hour???) for him to learn how to do this, or

2/ You learn how to do this and get to keep the knowledge for yourself.

This is simple wrenching and the cost of a few gaskets. The broken bolt is unknown as yet. With luck there is a protruding nub that can be twisted out, if not some careful drilling is needed. I would gue$$ about a half hour of mechanic's rate. 

Yeah i appreciate it and i would prefer to do it myself. I want to learn as much as i can so i can make her last for many years to come and eventually just drop a new engine in it. 

You gave me the courage mike. Thanks...cleaning it to have a cleaner workspace now. Gonna get some gaskets as well

The mechanic may be able to tackle things more quickly because of the general knowledge of how things work, how they are assembled, and how to remove/repair broken bolts. Mechanics also have a slew of cleaners, scrapers, fluids and standard materials at their disposal to tend to each type of job. Mechanics also understand what kind of shortcuts can be made.

The type of job you have here requires no special tools, except the extraction tools for broken bolts, and maybe the right tap to clean up the hole. As far as shortcuts go, this job may appear to be easier if you can just squeeze in there and get the pan out, and back in, but trust me, if you remove the front diff, or at least lower it, the job will go much smoother. Start the job off with a clean engine and engine bay too. That also makes nasty jobs a lot less stressful. Get in there with a pressure washer a day before you start so it has time to dry.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:55 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The mechanic may be able to tackle things more quickly because of the general knowledge of how things work, how they are assembled, and how to remove/repair broken bolts. Mechanics also have a slew of cleaners, scrapers, fluids and standard materials at their disposal to tend to each type of job. Mechanics also understand what kind of shortcuts can be made.

The type of job you have here requires no special tools, except the extraction tools for broken bolts, and maybe the right tap to clean up the hole. As far as shortcuts go, this job may appear to be easier if you can just squeeze in there and get the pan out, and back in, but trust me, if you remove the front diff, or at least lower it, the job will go much smoother. Start the job off with a clean engine and engine bay too. That also makes nasty jobs a lot less stressful. Get in there with a pressure washer a day before you start so it has time to dry.

Shpuld i xover the electronics and all that? 

10 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Shpuld i xover the electronics and all that? 

You mean for washing? No, just don't spray directly into the distributor. Everything else can take it.

I use Purple Power to help with engine bay cleaning. Spray it on a few minutes prior to pressure washing and let it work. Don't let it dry before you wash it off, or it will leave streaks.