Accelerator pump

Rusty Dawg

Howdy,

I recently acquired another 1960 222 truck that also had the original manifolds along with the original single barrel Hitachi carb just like my other truck.  I am swapping out the manifold set up along with the carb in my new purchase mainly so I can keep the Hitachi carb as an extra.  I went though the entire carb and the only 2 items that needed replacing was the accelerator pump plunger(not sure that's what it's called) and the dust boot that it goes through on top of the carb housing.  I found a plunger that might work, but I am curious if anyone might be able to tell me how to remove the old one and install the new one.  It seem riveted on, so do I drill out and then either rivet on the new one or use a screw to secure? Also, does anyone have a line on where I might be able to purchase a new boot?

Thanks!

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6767.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That will need to be replaced entirely. There's no 'fixing' it.

The ones I'm used to working with are like the one below with viton? seal. I have had even earlier ones that used a leather seal. Do these look like they would fit?

http://www.carburetion.com/images/Inventory/832F.jpg

Accelerator Pump Boot Dust Cover For Hitachi Downdraft Carburetor Datsun  Nissan 720 Pickup Truck Also 521 620 510 A10 610 710 200SX S10 T11 Stanza  CA20S 16307-D0200 16307-80W00 - VINTAGE DATSUN AND NISSAN PARTS

22 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Steve had a brilliant discovery when he was rebuilding his 320 carb. He used a generic accelerator pump from a quadra-jet. I think. @difrangia- what was it that you used?

At least I think it was Steve...

I believe it was Moses (320newb) who came up with the Q-Jet pump. I probably archived his final find on the A-Pump piston.  I have a Weber 32/36 on our 320.

I looked it up; it's in page #44 of his green truck build thread.

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/16/2022 at 9:11 PM, datzenmike said:

That will need to be replaced entirely. There's no 'fixing' it.

The ones I'm used to working with are like the one below with viton? seal. I have had even earlier ones that used a leather seal. Do these look like they would fit?

http://www.carburetion.com/images/Inventory/832F.jpg

Accelerator Pump Boot Dust Cover For Hitachi Downdraft Carburetor Datsun  Nissan 720 Pickup Truck Also 521 620 510 A10 610 710 200SX S10 T11 Stanza  CA20S 16307-D0200 16307-80W00 - VINTAGE DATSUN AND NISSAN PARTS

It doesn't look like the old one, but it's worth a shot.  I had my other Hitachi carb rebuilt and they were able to replace the leather plunger on it.  I was trying to avoid trying to send this one down to fix, but maybe I'll do so.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, 320 Newb said:

Not exactly sure how to remove the old one and replace with this one.