routing heater hoses

sick620

my z20 with l20b head now has two rear spots to connect a heater hose. I am assuming because z series vs l series just utilize a different spot for that fitting. Would it be possible to run my heater core off those two spots and not run a hose up to the water neck (how they are normally routed)? or no because they will both be flowing the same direction? 

C8E5156B-3920-4AD6-9FA8-ABC39E6A390E.thumb.jpeg.5c95edb691cd9565da7a95aaf21f552e.jpeg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Water comes out from both so pick one, doesn't matter. This will go to the water cock on the heater. The return goes down to the lower radiator return pipe on the timing cover and into the water pump.

ok so I cant run it off both of the rear ones, either way it has to route back to water neck, ok got it. 

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I suppose you could join the two into a T and then to the heater but why complicate it. Water from the head may be arguably warmer?

I was wondering if one could go inlet and one could go outlet, but I guess then water would not flow through the core .. 

42 minutes ago, sick620 said:

I was wondering if one could go inlet and one could go outlet, but I guess then water would not flow through the core .. 

Does a z series head have the same coolant port like the L series head....

On the L block that coolant hole usually just has a plug in it...

1 hour ago, sick620 said:

Remember that the water pump pressurizes the block. Any opening water will want out. The return hose has to go to the suction side of the water pump.

19 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Does a z series head have the same coolant port like the L series head....

On the L block that coolant hole usually just has a plug in it...

The plug on the L series block is for draining. On the Z24 it's for the heater but there is also a drain on the driver's side.

Z series heads do not have an opening for a heater hose connection.

5 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Remember that the water pump pressurizes the block. Any opening water will want out. The return hose has to go to the suction side of the water pump.

The plug on the L series block is for draining. On the Z24 it's for the heater but there is also a drain on the driver's side.

Z series heads do not have an opening for a heater hose connection.

Sounds like he needs to pick one and plug the other than...

Ok so I’ll plug the one on block eventually… for now I’m just going to loop a hose between the two to block them off and eliminate the heater core … just for a little while because it’s warming up and I won’t need the heater and I haven’t tested the heater core might as well clean it up first and test it … that takes one more thing a way that could potentially go wrong while I’m working out the bugs in the truck and new motor…