Thomas Perkins

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Do you notice a lot of drag when driving? Like this truck accelerates so damn slow and at 50+ all you hear is the damn tires lol No,Mine runs super strong,but my engine is bigger than your's.Your tires are way to big for your Z20.My Pink Floyd be wide open when I am going down the highway,,,Can't hear them tires...

Edited by Thomas Perkins
1 hour ago, Thomas Perkins said:

It runs way better with premium.Drive my truck and you will want to buy it.

Way better how? I have full control of spark curve and I say it would be a lot of power gain to want to pay for premium on a 8.2:1 compression engine. Actually I'm running closer to 9:1 and have had no detonation issues on 87 octane.  Maybe I'll try a tank , but I doubt I'll be impressed.  

It was pinging going up hills,the valves started rattling.The timing is dead on and everything is good,My plugs burn clean,keep like new distributor cap,rotor cause I have a lifetime warranty on them and on both coils.I change them all out every year cause it is free.Weber is running great.I use a idle cut off solenoid,have to or it won't stay idled.Engine is a  Jasper.So is Transmission.Radiator and water pump have a life time warranty,when one goes out I change both cause it is free.Exhaust is new from manifold all the way down.New fusible links,have a spare,can't find them no more.Just put a new egr on.Oil Pump and distributor is stock,knock on wood.New NGK Plug Wires..On my second oem  coolant tank and wiper tank..Both master cylinders are new.new clutch,new brakes front and rear,new rotors and ball joints,axle boots.. New everything perty much.new heating and air custom made,new carpet,dynamat under it,new weather stripping,New fuel pump,relay and other relays,new brake,gas pedal and clutch pedals.,new ranch 500 shocks.New lights everywhere,new lens.new power steering and a.c pulleys.New belts,hoses.Kenwood stereo with pioneer speakers.New headlights,new horns.new rear window gasket,new front windshield gasket,new cowl gasket.Lifetime warranty on starter and alternator.new rubber fuel lines.New passenger side mirror,new rear view mirror.new charcoal cannister.New made by me new hood fiberglass insulation and clips.New paint job.New tires and rims.New pioneer accelerator cable.Am trying Ngk Iridium spark plugs.New oem spark plug wire holders that connect to valve cover,can't find them any more.New gas door hardware.New jack rod clamps.New fan stroud.New bushings and they are not rubber.

100_8343.jpg

100_8344.jpg

100_8901.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
8 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

It was pinging going up hills,the valves started rattling.The timing is dead on and everything is good,My plugs burn clean,keep like new distributor cap,rotor cause I have a lifetime warranty on them and on both coils.I change them all out every year cause it is free.Weber is running great.I use a idle cut off solenoid,have to or it won't stay idled.Engine is a  Jasper.So is Transmission.Radiator and water pump have a life time warranty,when one goes out I change both cause it is free.Exhaust is new from manifold all the way down.New fusible links,have a spare,can't find them no more.Just put a new egr on.Oil Pump and distributor is stock,knock on wood.New NGK Plug Wires..On my second oem  coolant tank and wiper tank..Both master cylinders are new.new clutch,new brakes front and rear,new rotors and ball joints,axle boots.. New everything perty much.new heating and air custom made,new carpet,dynamat under it,new weather stripping,New fuel pump,relay and other relays,new brake,gas pedal and clutch pedals.,new ranch 500 shocks.New lights everywhere,new lens.new power steering and a.c pulleys.New belts,hoses.Kenwood stereo with pioneer speakers.New headlights,new horns.new rear window gasket,new front windshield gasket,new cowl gasket.Lifetime warranty on starter and alternator.new rubber fuel lines.New passenger side mirror,new rear view mirror.new charcoal cannister.New made by me new hood fiberglass insulation and clips.New paint job.New tires and rims.New pioneer accelerator cable.Am trying Ngk Iridium spark plugs.New oem spark plug wire holders that connect to valve cover,can't find them any more.New gas door hardware.New jack rod clamps.New fan stroud.New bushings and they are not rubber.

You sir are my future with my current truck. I wanna replace everything and make it basically brand new so I can drive it everyday for the next 40 years lol 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I am looking at my 85 Nissan service manual ,but your's is a 80 model.So you have a Z20.The Z20 listed here is P185/80/14.You will need new rims also.Do you have 6 lug nuts.For mine it says P215/75R15 or P225/75R15*3

The '80 720 was the last year the L20B engine was used. 

'83 and up were Z20 and Z24. The Z20 was the mileage option engine.

3 hours ago, Madkaw said:

Way better how? I have full control of spark curve and I say it would be a lot of power gain to want to pay for premium on a 8.2:1 compression engine. Actually I'm running closer to 9:1 and have had no detonation issues on 87 octane.  Maybe I'll try a tank , but I doubt I'll be impressed.  

Placebo effect. Expectation biases observations.

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Placebo effect. Expectation biases observations.

I have the advantage of full timing control which keeps me from having to buy premium . It also allows for better performance overall. I really don’t even know what full timing is stock. It is a poor combustion design which makes things tougher to tune . I might try premium to see how far I can push timing . I’m about 37 degrees now at 100kpa . Run more like 45 below 70 kpa . These motors load really fast without much of a load which probably causes much of pinging 

• Like 1

Can you find it? I don't remember why I would say that.

This one?...

Your '79 with a blown HG and talk of a KA swap. Well for $30 if just a HG, fix it and have a running engine. Drive the truck and sort it out before the swap. (there's a chance you might even change your mind on the swap) Swapping a KA in is a lot of work to find that it needs major suspension, electrical  steering or brakes and who knows what else. Once swapped you have a running L20B rather than 280 pounds of scrap... it's worth more.

7 hours ago, Madkaw said:

I have the advantage of full timing control which keeps me from having to buy premium . It also allows for better performance overall. I really don’t even know what full timing is stock. It is a poor combustion design which makes things tougher to tune . I might try premium to see how far I can push timing . I’m about 37 degrees now at 100kpa . Run more like 45 below 70 kpa . These motors load really fast without much of a load which probably causes much of pinging .I've had my 85 720 2.4 since 94 and never had a issue with timing.It has never been adjusted,I had a Jasper engine installer put a re manufactured engine in back in 2009,and now I have 80,000 miles on it.The reason I started using Premium cause long ago I was going up a hill and it started pinging.So I decided to try Premium gas and it never has pinged again.When I got my new heating and air installed not long ago,I had him check the compression and timing and he said it was good.The same guy that installed the Jasper.He is a expert on the 720's.He has one.My piston rings went bad in my engine back then so I had him put a Jasper engine in.The engine was 1900 bucks plus labor.It is a sweet engine.It's a 4x4,Total cost was about 3200.00.Since he had it out,he noticed the clutch needed replaced,no charge for labor,just cost for the clutch.

7 hours ago, Madkaw said:

I have the advantage of full timing control which keeps me from having to buy premium . It also allows for better performance overall. I really don’t even know what full timing is stock. It is a poor combustion design which makes things tougher to tune . I might try premium to see how far I can push timing . I’m about 37 degrees now at 100kpa . Run more like 45 below 70 kpa . These motors load really fast without much of a load which probably causes much of pinging 

Picture0206161217_1.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Here is me and my 720 back in 94,check the rims that were on it.They were popular in the 70's...Used my Canon 35 mm back then...The date on their is when I took a pic of the pic with my Kodak Z95 camera..Here I am now.,26 years later...We went to Atlanta that year and seen Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour..

100_8137.jpg

100_8691.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Can you find it? I don't remember why I would say that.

This one?...

Your '79 with a blown HG and talk of a KA swap. Well for $30 if just a HG, fix it and have a running engine. Drive the truck and sort it out before the swap. (there's a chance you might even change your mind on the swap) Swapping a KA in is a lot of work to find that it needs major suspension, electrical  steering or brakes and who knows what else. Once swapped you have a running L20B rather than 280 pounds of scrap... it's worth more.

Ah I thought you meant like people are dying to get the L20B lol 

16 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Here is me and my 720 back in 94,check the rims that were on it.They were popular in the 70's...Used my Canon 35 mm back then...The date on their is when I took a pic of the pic with my Kodak Z95 camera..Here I am now.,26 years later...We went to Atlanta that year and seen Pink Floyd's Division Bell tour..

100_8137.jpg

100_8691.jpg

That truck is so damn sexy. Should have painted it a bright ass color lol 

• Like 1
On 2/10/2022 at 9:55 PM, Veraciousreasoning said:

You sir are my future with my current truck. I wanna replace everything and make it basically brand new so I can drive it everyday for the next 40 years lol .I just filled my truck up.I put 10.38 gallons of 3.79 Premium in it.Last tank lasted 8 days.I got 180 miles out of this tank,which my MPG went from 17.12 MPG to 18.3 MPG on this tank.Gas went up 2 cent a gallon.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, Veraciousreasoning said:

You sir are my future with my current truck. I wanna replace everything and make it basically brand new so I can drive it everyday for the next 40 years lol 

That makes four of us, but you have an 80KC. I looked, over a year for an 80, finally gave in and bought an 84. In Idaho no less--damn

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Thomas, those BFGoodrich All Terains are 235/75/15s? Crazy, they actually look like 30's to me. I was contemplating getting 30's but these actually look beefier than I expected. Are those wheels 15X7s, do you happen to know what offset they are, and do they rub? If so where on the truck do the tires rub? I have the stocky wheels on my truck currently but the front wheels sit considerably further in the wheel well than my rear wheels. Not sure if this is normal. I really like the way the stock wheels look but I'm guessing I would need to add a spacer to the fronts to get them to sit closer to how the rears sit. I wouldn't think twice about running the stock wheels if they weren't so skinny, so I'm still on the fence on that one.

15 hours ago, IZRL said:

Thomas, those BFGoodrich All Terains are 235/75/15s? Crazy, they actually look like 30's to me. I was contemplating getting 30's but these actually look beefier than I expected. Are those wheels 15X7s, do you happen to know what offset they are, and do they rub? If so where on the truck do the tires rub? I have the stocky wheels on my truck currently but the front wheels sit considerably further in the wheel well than my rear wheels. Not sure if this is normal. I really like the way the stock wheels look but I'm guessing I would need to add a spacer to the fronts to get them to sit closer to how the rears sit. I wouldn't think twice about running the stock wheels if they weren't so skinny, so I'm still on the fence on that one.

They are 15x7.They don't rub.Ive been running this size forever.31 rims will fit on 235 tires.I switched them over.Now,I have American Racing rims cause the center hubs fit.