BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA /Tires.

Thomas Perkins

Back in November 2020. I went from BF Goodrich long Trail T/A 235-75-15 Tire To BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A 235-75-15 Tire.I keep up with my MPG.Just had them balanced and rotated.Everytime I fill up with gas.I write down how many miles I drove and how many gallons it took to fill it  to measure my Mpg.The difference has been a little over 1 mpg.Which is about 17 miles less per tank full.I usually use about 12 gallons before I fill up.I can't tell the difference .My gas tank holds 15.7 gallons.Gas here is now 3.29 a gallon,but I use Premium,93 Octane which is 3.77 a gallon.We need a new President.The last President had it under 2 bucks a gallon here.Which truck look's better.Same truck,,new paint job on one with black rims.just different tires and rims and one with tool box.The one with tool box has Toyota rims.Also different 4x4 stickers.One has no body guards across it.About 4 and half years difference when the pics were taken.I still have the tool box.Do you think it looks better with or without the tool box.It is full of tools.See the crease in the truck over the orange 4x4 sticker,body shop fixed it,also had a key mark down that side and it is gone,was that way when I bought it.Have a lifetime warranty on the window tint,had them replace it right before it was painted,it lasted 13 years.You can see at the door and the bed that the paint don't match cause I hit a deer and they couldn't match it up when they repaired it.

100_9246.jpg

100_6797.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

What is the tire size now? 205/75R14 would be close. Something just over 26" tall. If much taller it will hurt acceleration

Don't forget you only have a 2 liter engine and the 720 is gaining weight.

I don't know off the top of my head but I 100% know they are way to big. The person before me put these super expensive off-terrain tires that have massive treads. It 100% is causing me some drag. I plan on buying spring/summer/fall tires and when winter hits again I'll put them on as they do a great job in the snow.  

Measure the height of the tire. Should be about 26" tall. The tire size is on the sidewall. Tread has little effect. Taller makes the speedometer and odometer read low. Says 50 MPH but really going 55. It also affects the overall gear ratio. If you have a 4.11 it will 'feel' lower like 3.889 or worse. 

The compression of the Z24 is 8.4. It will practically run on kerosene. Octane increases the resistance of the gas to self ignite from compression heat. Small chance of that with such a low compression but it won't harm anything but your wallet. Higher compression allows you to extract more power more efficiently from the same gas but it needs higher octane to resist exploding just from the increased heat of compression. The increased efficiency can often translate to increased mileage that more than pays for the extra cost. 

I knew it was the tires that caused my MPG to go down a little over 1 mpg. So I lost about 16 miles per tankful with these tires.But I like them better.But these all terrain tires are good for 50,000 miles compared to my others at 60,000 miles,I got over 61,000 thousand on the last set.All terrain tires won't have the same fuel efficiency as passenger car tires, but still don't increase fuel consumption as much as their mud terrain cousins. ... They also have a larger effect on fuel economy. The consensus is that on average, all-terrain tires decrease fuel economy by about 3% compared to highway tires

Edited by Thomas Perkins
4 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I knew it was the tires that caused my MPG to go down a little or 1 mpg.All terrain tires won't have the same fuel efficiency as passenger car tires, but still don't increase fuel consumption as much as their mud terrain cousins. ... They also have a larger effect on fuel economy. The consensus is that on average, all-terrain tires decrease fuel economy by about 3% compared to highway tires

These are the tires. 

https://www.lesschwab.com/back-country-all-terrain-5955478.html

I def feel like they drop my acceleration and drop my MPG. 

Gas is gas only the octane changes. Placebo effect.

3 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

These are the tires. 

I def feel like they drop my acceleration and drop my MPG. 

What size??? You would have to have had the stock tires on to 'feel' a difference. A comparison. As these came with the truck how can you say this?

9 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I knew it was the tires that caused my MPG to go down a little over 1 mpg. So I lost about 16 miles per tankful with these tires.But I like them better.But these all terrain tires are good for 50,000 miles compared to my others at 60,000 miles,I got over 61,000 thousand on the last set.All terrain tires won't have the same fuel efficiency as passenger car tires, but still don't increase fuel consumption as much as their mud terrain cousins. ... They also have a larger effect on fuel economy. The consensus is that on average, all-terrain tires decrease fuel economy by about 3% compared to highway tires

Well lets look at what 3% represents. If you get 20MPG 3% is 0.6 of a MPG. You can get 10% just by driving properly but no one does.

4 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

These are the tires. 

I def feel like they drop my acceleration and drop my MPG. They look good.I've had my truck for 28 years and always had this size except when I bought them Toyota rims,they had 31's on them and were scrubbing.I got rid of them quick.I didn't want to lift it.I have a 4x4 which means I get less MPG than you.What do you get.I can't compare mine if it loses power cause of the tires cause I always had this size but mine runs like hell.

Generally a taller tire takes you farther on the same gas. Don't go by your odometer it's out over 7%, drive a known 100 miles, or something known after filling up and again when you are finished. Figure the mileage before you change the tires and do the same route after getting new tires.

What tire size are you getting?

Just now, Thomas Perkins said:

2 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Gas is gas only the octane changes. Placebo effect.

What size??? You would have to have had the stock tires on to 'feel' a difference. A comparison. As these came with the truck how can you say this?

Well lets look at what 3% represents. If you get 20MPG 3% is 0.6 of a MPG. You can get 10% just by driving properly but no one does.I drive 65 on the highway,I don't drive fast,but these all terrain tires give me less MPG than my other one's.But it's not a big drop.I was getting a little over 18 MPG on these BF Goodrich  that I had on before,now these All terrain are giving me about 17 MPG.like I said before,everytime I fill up I check the MPG,been doing this 20 plus years and my driving habits stay the same.Check this chart out.I am right on the money.https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1985_Nissan_Truck.shtml

12 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Generally a taller tire takes you farther on the same gas. Don't go by your odometer it's out over 7%, drive a known 100 miles, or something known after filling up and again when you are finished. Figure the mileage before you change the tires and do the same route after getting new tires.

What tire size are you getting?

I don't know to be honest. Just tired of these big ass treads and tires lol I want to save them for winter and use street tires 

3 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I am looking at my 85 Nissan service manual ,but your's is a 80 model.So you have a Z20.The Z20 listed here is P185/80/14.You will need new rims also.Do you have 6 lug nuts.

Yes I have six lug nuts. When I look at the spare under the bed of the truck it is way way way smaller.  I am thinking of pulling it out and doing a side by side but the sun just left lol

6 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Yes I have six lug nuts. When I look at the spare under the bed of the truck it is way way way smaller.  I am thinking of pulling it out and doing a side by side but the sun just left lol.Look on the side of your tire on your truck for the size,probably is same as mine.A lot of people use these,about tallest you can get without scrubbing...