1974 620 Rad

I know there are a lot of forms on radiators here but I would like to know more specifics. Today I got my advance to work and the Rad decided to become a sprinkler. 

https://imgur.com/a/ty34epn

I found a lot on Ebay but I know modifications need to be done. I am not trying to do a whole lot but suggestions on Rads to buy, I know 3 core aluminum, but its the bottom coolant outlet thats bugging me on most of these rads on ebay. I one on ebay let me know what you think. Thank you. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253796403377?fits=Model%3A620|Make%3ADatsun&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b1771c8b1:g:6lgAAOSwAF5dAaWN&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSeg1Ad1f9161DldjYGbgJefvYZqZXJ6vHGdLpL%2FMTU1cXSrQsoo8kd%2Bha6xNKNLSFP7T6YpKtO2yEenFztUg0I%2BZgtKmwOmexIr6dw3OiHRTmRVDIeC7S7TGlDw5OiqeZT8xypm8LxZHwzR5ig57QrHjofO6ixhEHDE1f0jMpFdm%2FWKZcbZkUsMZDyxyotST64nH3C9kuKWESMsRSvMOERCv1OhIPglvqdSGWmG8rVcr%2BgDnLJ7QyJd4eF4giGFIwBOzFxDcqJ4H5AwKsdELw%2BX%2BpcP0jP2Tn9%2Bbp5US2iJ6FgvDkAj%2BaiYjFodUAVVStHo68a%2FpBWG3QlDs58Laybg97M3Wg0nUDkNtTyvYcZ0wqmx%2ByABnEqYsIqECFPBzK4aSwfz1JWpn%2FR20q4lyQlr1YLVKYq2JJ6S200DYWweeeQeVGfwmqxgaQtvJZ9s%2FT3Y4pU56RCmMC%2BXGqfZ7C%2F4ntH%2FuzaAAYJFczm%2FlQ2X%2BIU%2FtjlA9CLRFDunr%2FaV5wiOwTT4Z9B1IkrObV98CHzNmeTvxFo%2BLoKD5mXeJJoFVRagBmZDqxTyLKceodhGW3zYfNE%2Fux3ZqwMkiBik%2BSobHVTEU87gZT0cu1qQTxOXr4YwFkHSpQHnXDA1QNcHwYLf4yvWC2394%2FyukNpxd7K9iBYvclj%2FqKoV09NCGgxz8UjBeJwWYbxUIu4L%2B6d%2F0psPoz4BpiZxdDs5%2FI%2Bl%2BflhkMZaYvBN%2Fjo%2FFiLQUM462%2BXLIwFD%2FUawx4xem9OqLlMFo1dWv0iietgoJ3z53UTxSrERHhXPZK7FxZ1ZyjHKVoYO7%2F1tgYEqpvUj9za2kl|clp%3A2499334|tkp%3ABFBM4OXd9s9f

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

take a photo of your rad. I know the first gen 620 are  be different. the have the return on the pass side.

Datzenmike will chime on this and know for sure.

I got a 521 and its same as a 510

I dont have a picture right now, but i will post one. I know for a fact it is an aftermarket one because the guy i got it from back in the 80s his daughter hit something and put a hole in the original one. And the one I have on now has drilled holes in it to make it fit. 

24 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

take a photo of your rad. I know the first gen 620 are  be different. the have the return on the pass side.

Datzenmike will chime on this and know for sure.

I got a 521 and its same as a 510

just a suggestion, can i just throw some JBL weld on it for now?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Yes, I dropped the e.

Flux. It's an acid that cleans and prepares the brass for solder to stick to it.

Just how would a hole get there. Is it rubbing something or hit with something.

honestly i dont know how a whole got there. it was fine when i started the car with it the first time, then it was fine when it warmed up, now there is a hole.

10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Flux. It's an acid that cleans and prepares the brass for solder to stick to it.

Mike nailed it.

As for your old one where it leaked on the tube. Reason a ( most ) radiator shop won't repair the tube is it can cause more leak issues, normally they will cut the tube close to the tanks and solder them up. Still got to be very careful but can be done. 

Lets see a picture of your new leak on the used radiator, might be an easy fix. If not, take it back to your buddy and get a refund. 🙂 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 420n620 said:

Mike nailed it.

As for your old one where it leaked on the tube. Reason a ( most ) radiator shop won't repair the tube is it can cause more leak issues, normally they will cut the tube close to the tanks and solder them up. Still got to be very careful but can be done. 

Lets see a picture of your new leak on the used radiator, might be an easy fix. If not, take it back to your buddy and get a refund. 🙂 

Ill post pictures tomorrow. I was looking at aftermarket, just a little side not, so I understand basically if I buy an aftermarket one no matter what ill need to drill holes into the rad to fit the shroud and also into the core support? Just curious 

16 hours ago, Richie said:

https://imgur.com/a/b6EQHry

In the third photo you can see it

that lower tank is a goner. Not worth the time to fix it unless you got another one to replace it. And of course you'll need to know how to do radiator work. 

your quote -- What do you guys think about this rad? would it fit? I like it because the bottom outlet is straight. 

I'm not sure but doesn't the lower hose inlet make a sharp bend to avoid the alternator ? 

Edited by 420n620
  • Confused 1

Wire brush the area clean. Dab soldering paste on and heat with a propane torch till past melts and bubbles, melt solder for an inch around the hole and quickly wire brush it off. Area should be shiny tin color. Heat and put plenty of solder on. It should flow like melted wax not ball up like that.

This has a brass patch so ignore that. Solder should flow over the ares like melted butter.

p7050320-jpg.13683

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, 420n620 said:

that lower tank is a goner. Not worth the time to fix it unless you got another one to replace it. And of course you'll need to know how to do radiator work. 

your quote -- What do you guys think about this rad? would it fit? I like it because the bottom outlet is straight. 

I'm not sure but doesn't the lower hose inlet make a sharp bend to avoid the alternator ? 

See that is what I thought also. This is what i was told....Both inlet and outlet are on the passenger side. Both are straight with no bend. 

If this information wrong? Because I dont get it but I see people with 620s all over with aftermarket rads that fit perfect, but when i ask them details about it about regarding fitting it, they say either ooo they had a mechanic do it or they dont remember -_-......

Someone out there has to have an aftermarket rad that fits besides drilling holes. I dont mind drilling holes I just need the actual rad itself to fit.

Tomorrow I am taking the old rad to a shop to see if they can recore the other (not this one) but I doubt it because every shop so far wont touch it even they they claim to restore old classic cars -_-