Tachometer fix? instrument cluster ?

Veraciousreasoning

Hey all, 

I got a 1980 720 and was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their "RPM gauge". Mine works until I hit second gear and then stops. Wondering if anyone has a video that shows how to fix it or do I just go ahead and buy a new one from amazon and install it?

I am also wondering if anyone changed their instrument cluster into something more modern and has any resources that I can use to see what it would look like? I dig the old look but may want to change it. Seeing how viable it is to do. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a/ Is this a factory tach?????? or some aftermarket thing wired in by non electrical electrician??????

b/ Are you saying the tach only works in first gear and not any of the others???

c/ The tach can't possible know when you are in 2nd gear. Unless  an after market tach badly wired up, it's not wired into the transmission so you are either loosing power to the tach or loosing the tach signal from the coil. If it works in first there's no way it can shut one of them off in second.

There are no substitutes for the dash though the '83 and up changed to round gauges and (I think) looks nicer.

• Like 1
On 9/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, datzenmike said:

a/ Is this a factory tach?????? or some aftermarket thing wired in by non electrical electrician??????

b/ Are you saying the tach only works in first gear and not any of the others???

c/ The tach can't possible know when you are in 2nd gear. Unless  an after market tach badly wired up, it's not wired into the transmission so you are either loosing power to the tach or loosing the tach signal from the coil. If it works in first there's no way it can shut one of them off in second.

There are no substitutes for the dash though the '83 and up changed to round gauges and (I think) looks nicer.

A. This is a factory RPM gauge 

b. The RPM gauge shows me my rpms in first and second but nothing after that. When I hit third gear it stays roughly 1-2rpm and even though I push the pedal to the floor it never moves. 

• Like 1

What in the wide wide world of sports would cause this???

OKay 1 and second works but 3rd and 4th don't.

Goes it come back when the shifter is in the neutral gate between 3rd and 4th???

What happens if you shift out of 3rd into neutral and let the clutch out?

Trying to see if one of the transmission emissions switches is involved.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

What in the wide wide world of sports would cause this???

OKay 1 and second works but 3rd and 4th don't.

Goes it come back when the shifter is in the neutral gate between 3rd and 4th???

What happens if you shift out of 3rd into neutral and let the clutch out?

Trying to see if one of the transmission emissions switches is involved.

Yea its the strangest thing to be honest. 

If I get above second gear it basically just sits at 1,000-2,000 RPMs in gear and in neutral. It looks like it moves but the movement is so small that you can't even tell its above 2,000 or it could just be my shit eyes thinking it's moving. I've tried 3rd then neutral, 4th than neutral, and 5th than neutral. Nothing moves it. The second I go to first gear at a dead stop I can get the needle above 2,000-3,000 rpm (I only do that when testing it) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Hold on. Above 2,000-3,000??????? or working normally to 5,000?

Let me try to explain this a bit better as I feel like we are getting our wires crossed here. 

When my car is at a dead stop I can give it gas and the tachometer moves normally. 

When I am in first gear it moves normally. I usually shift around 3,000-4,000 RPMs

Second gear moves normally. 

The second I get to Third gear the RPM gauge usually sits around 1,000-2,000 and doesn't move even if I floor it and give it all she got. The engine will be screaming like its at high RPM but its still not moving and if it does move it moves not even a 1/1,000 of a inch. I don't even know if it moves or it's just my eyes thinking it moved slightly. 

• Like 1

A video will only show what you said that it's not moving which doesn't really move us forward. Need more clues.....

Questions...

1/ If in 3rd gear, if you depress the clutch and try to rev the engine does it start working????

2/ If you take out of 3rd gear and place in neutral does it start working? Clutch pedal up or down?

3/ What do you have to do to get the tach working again??? place in 1st or 2nd?????

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

A video will only show what you said that it's not moving which doesn't really move us forward. Need more clues.....

Questions...

1/ If in 3rd gear, if you depress the clutch and try to rev the engine does it start working????

2/ If you take out of 3rd gear and place in neutral does it start working? Clutch pedal up or down?

3/ What do you have to do to get the tach working again??? place in 1st or 2nd?????

I'll check all this out today 

• Like 1
On 9/22/2021 at 6:40 AM, datzenmike said:

Questions...

When I push the clutch in and rev the engine it works normally. I opened up the dash and cleaned up the terminals and it seems to be working. I drove in 4th the other day and it noticeable moves now. 

• Like 1