First post

Veraciousreasoning

Hey all,

Just recently found this forum a couple days ago and figured I use you all as a resource. 

I currently have a 1980 datsun 720 king cab 4x4 and this is my second one. I am using this as my "daily driver" and my "project car" at the same time. 

I noticed it is really freaking hard to find online resources to figure things out and figured I asked you guys for help. Below will be my questions

1. Is there a online free pdf of the Haynes manual?

2. I want to "delete" as many vacuum lines as possible. IS there a resource I can use to make sure I am deleting the right ones? The amount of hoses in this damn thing is to much

3. Is there a online resource I can use to install a weber 32/36 carb and to set up the electronic choke?

4. Does anyone else have the same truck and deals with a rough idle when starting cold? 

I just bought the datsun about 2 weeks ago and did the following;

-new oil/oil filter

- new spark plugs

- new radiator fluid, new temperature gauge 

- cleaned distributor cap

-Used carb cleaner to clean the carb. its still dirtier than hell though

I plan on basically changing as much as possible to make this truck last me another 20 years.   

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a you tube video on the electric choke, just released one on the Weber rebuild that rebuild video should framiliarize you enough with the setup of one to be able to install one. 

You want the factory service manual not the Haynes manual, much better that way.

You want to do a valve lash check on the engine as well.

Does it have an l20b? That should be what it came with but on an old truck it's worth checking

Make sure and use the right oils in all your stuff yellow metal safe gl4 for transmissions and Delo 400 for engine

Edited by captain720
  • Like 1

1. Is there a online free pdf of the Haynes manual?

2. I want to "delete" as many vacuum lines as possible. IS there a resource I can use to make sure I am deleting the right ones? The amount of hoses in this damn thing is to much

3. Is there a online resource I can use to install a weber 32/36 carb and to set up the electronic choke?

4. Does anyone else have the same truck and deals with a rough idle when starting cold? 

I just bought the datsun about 2 weeks ago and did the following;

-new oil/oil filter

- new spark plugs

- new radiator fluid, new temperature gauge 

- cleaned distributor cap

-Used carb cleaner to clean the carb. its still dirtier than hell though

1/ I think there is a FSM (factory service manual) around on pdf. Or search e-Bay for an '80. Has to be an '80 as it's the only year with the L20B engine. The FSM is 1.5 to 2" thick and considered the bible. Haynes is simply a poor copy of that and jams all '80-'86 720s into 1 " thick. 

2/ Best to just check the hoses are not cracked and keep everything working. Some of the emissions devices actually save gas. None take away any performance.

3/ If you buy a new Weber get from Redline or Pierce Manifolds. There are a lot of shit knock offs out there. Expect to pay just under $300 and get a new one not someone else's problems. A new kit has everything needed for installation.

Spark plugs MUST be NGK BPR6ES and bon't buy from e Bay or Amazon.... again way too many counterfeits out there.

Carburetor: Cleaning the outside doesn't do much of anything. The biggest problem with carburetors is dirt inside so replace the fuel filter every 2-3 years.

Choke: When engine is cold take the top off air filter and look. Choke flap should be part open. Step down on gas and release....

Does the choke close?

Once warmed up does the choke open fully vertical?

Oil: Chevron Delo 400 is good. I use Shell Rotella T4 in 10w30 although 15w40 is also out there. It's a diesel oil so has the same ZDDP levels are when your engine was new. Today's oils have dropped to about 1/2 what they used to be. ZDDP is an anti scuff ingredient needed by our cam and rocker arms and not needed by new cars that use roller cams and all others use synthetic anyway. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

1/ I think there is a FSM (factory service manual) around on pdf. Or search e-Bay for an '80. Has to be an '80 as it's the only year with the L20B engine. The FSM is 1.5 to 2" thick and considered the bible. Haynes is simply a poor copy of that and jams all '80-'86 720s into 1 " thick. 

2/ Best to just check the hoses are not cracked and keep everything working. Some of the emissions devices actually save gas. None take away any performance.

3/ If you buy a new Weber get from Redline or Pierce Manifolds. There are a lot of shit knock offs out there. Expect to pay just under $300 and get a new one not someone else's problems. A new kit has everything needed for installation.

Spark plugs MUST be NGK BPR6ES and bon't buy from e Bay or Amazon.... again way too many counterfeits out there.

Carburetor: Cleaning the outside doesn't do much of anything. The biggest problem with carburetors is dirt inside so replace the fuel filter every 2-3 years.

Choke: When engine is cold take the top off air filter and look. Choke flap should be part open. Step down on gas and release....

Does the choke close?

Once warmed up does the choke open fully vertical?

1/I think I found one on another website but I was always under the impression that the Haynes manual is good? I had a old 76 dodge that the manual worked wonders. I'll find one online as free is always better than 20 bucks 

2/I plan on doing that on payday

3/ I watched a video on youtube and planned on getting it from partsgeek.com it's the redline 32/36 brand spanking new

I went to Orileys and the spark plug they gave me fits the model. I'll maybe replace them with the ones you recommended. 

I didn't just clean the outside. I took a paper towel and carb cleaner to clean the inside. its still kind of dirty in there but the flag gets in the way of me cleaning it further. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, captain720 said:

I have a you tube video on the electric choke, just released one on the Weber rebuild that rebuild video should framiliarize you enough with the setup of one to be able to install one. 

You want the factory service manual not the Haynes manual, much better that way.

You want to do a head bolt retorqued and valve lash check on the engine as well.

Make sure and use the right oils in all your stuff yellow metal safe gl4 for transmissions and Delo 400 for engine

We actually talked on your youtube channel. Its the same username as the one I have here. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

1/I think I found one on another website but I was always under the impression that the Haynes manual is good? I had a old 76 dodge that the manual worked wonders. I'll find one online as free is always better than 20 bucks 

2/I plan on doing that on payday

3/ I watched a video on youtube and planned on getting it from partsgeek.com it's the redline 32/36 brand spanking new

I went to Orileys and the spark plug they gave me fits the model. I'll maybe replace them with the ones you recommended. 

I didn't just clean the outside. I took a paper towel and carb cleaner to clean the inside. its still kind of dirty in there but the flag gets in the way of me cleaning it further. 

Haynes is barely alright. The '80 FSM covers only, and in great detail, ALL of the '80 720 in all it's forms. The first time you use it it will more than pay for itself. Only $20???? don't be cheap. How much of the Haynes is devoted to the '80 do you think????

Go to Pierce Manifolds. Not worth the risk. The Chinese knock offs are brand spanking new too!!!

Unless you took the carburetor off and apart you can't adequately clean the inside.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Haynes is barely alright. The '80 FSM covers only, and in great detail, ALL of the '80 720 in all it's forms. The first time you use it it will more than pay for itself. Only $20???? don't be cheap. How much of the Haynes is devoted to the '80 do you think????

Go to Pierce Manifolds. Not worth the risk. The Chinese knock offs are brand spanking new too!!!

Unless you took the carburetor off and apart you can't adequately clean the inside.

The Haynes manual is only 20 bucks online that why I said I rather find a pdf online for free than pay 20 bucks lol

Do they sell already built carbs? 

Makes sense. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

The FSM Manual will be the best money you can spend.  You might want to buy both the 2wd and the 4wd manuals if you can find them.  Be sure all pages are in the manual and there is a multi page fold out of the wiring harness in the back of the book.

I find a bunch online on Ebay. I am going to have to wait for a couple more weeks before I can afford it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Buy a FSM for the year of your truck.  There were many changes to the manuals as the 720 trucks evolved.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=720%2FDatsun+720+Factory+Service+Manual.pdf

I found a 1982 720 factory service manual online. I am wondering what exactly are the differences between the 1980-1982? 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=720%2FDatsun+720+Factory+Service+Manual.pdf

I found a 1982 720 factory service manual online. I am wondering what exactly are the differences between the 1980-1982? 

1980s came with an l20b so that's a significant difference. But if you have a Z24ed 1980 than the differences would be less significant

• Like 1