521 - Left Tie Rod (Side Rod)

BenFoOw

The tie rod taper is the super common 7 deg taper.  At least it's referred to as that.....it's technically just a hair over 7deg, but it's the same as ford and definitely chrysler and of course....all of nissan.  I haven't played much with chevy, so I'm not sure.  It's not just the angle that matters, it's where it "seats", too......so even if it's the same taper, the ream may still be needed.  They also have shims if the female hole is a bit big and I've also see taper adapters.  I've thought about making them, but haven't had a real need to yet.

Just pulled from the internet for clarity......

Typically you'd have 1.5" per foot (7°) and 2" per foot (10°) as the most common automotive tie rod and ball joint tapers

Edited by mklotz70
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, mklotz70 said:

The tie rod taper is the super common 7 deg taper.  At least it's referred to as that.....it's technically just a hair over 7deg, but it's the same as ford and definitely chrysler and of course....all of nissan.  I haven't played much with chevy, so I'm not sure.  It's not just the angle that matters, it's where it "seats", too......so even if it's the same taper, the ream may still be needed.  They also have shims if the female hole is a bit big and I've also see taper adapters.  I've thought about making them, but haven't had a real need to yet.

Just pulled from the internet for clarity......

Typically you'd have 1.5" per foot (7°) and 2" per foot (10°) as the most common automotive tie rod and ball joint tapers

It's not uncommon for me to have to do either here - ream the taper deeper or shim the taper if it's too deep. Point is, if parts are becoming that scarce, maybe it's time to look in another direction and use more readily available parts.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's not uncommon for me to have to do either here - ream the taper deeper or shim the taper if it's too deep. Point is, if parts are becoming that scares, maybe it's time to look in another direction and use more readily available parts.

So true and I completely agree.  It's why I'm switching my 311 brake kit away from Volvo calipers.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...