That Ol 720

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a fairly unmolested truck.

I am curious, does the tailgate say Datsun? y girlfriend (at the time, long time ago) bought one of these new and I cannot remember what was on the tailgate.

• Like 1

'82 was the last year for DATSUN 11 '82 was the start of the '83 model year and the full change to NISSAN stamped tail gates. In a 'tip 'o the hat' to the earlier Datsun marque the '83s and perhaps the '84s had DATSUN decals on them. The '84 was similarly stamped but the '85 tailgate has a recess across the back with a finisher panel in it with NISSAN lettering.

That said it's possible that a few '82 DATSUN stamped tailgates found their way onto some '83s.

• Like 1

That ol 720 is in my neck of the woods, we met up and worked on his truck a bit. 

Updates he's got synthetic oil in everything so the problems associated with that, manifold water leak, some fuel leaks, front and rear seals, over torqued pan gasket, and some other odds and ends to work out. Needs a banjo bolt for his PS pump.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, captain720 said:

That ol 720 is in my neck of the woods, we met up and worked on his truck a bit. 

Updates he's got synthetic oil in everything so the problems associated with that, manifold water leak, some fuel leaks, front and rear seals, over torqued pan gasket, and some other odds and ends to work out. Needs a banjo bolt for his PS pump.

Pm me your address and I will send you one, you will need new crush washers as I do not have any, but I will include a used one to help your search.

White is steam from 'burned' coolant. Exhaust will have antifreeze smell and rad will be constantly in need of topping up.

Coolant sucked into the intake port. Very unlikely if it's never been off and gasket replaced. More likely the head gasket is blown.  Pull plugs. The cleanest one with be the steam cleaned one.

• Like 1

I haven't had to refill my Coolant very regularly. It's only been refilled 2 times since I noticed about 4 months ago. Also the white smoke is a semi rare occasion, but it still happens and with it comes shuttering and a obvious loss of power which makes me a bit nervous. Also I did a compression test about a month ago and all 4 cylinders were 160-170 cold. The last time I looked at my plugs they were all the same. It runs a bit more on the richer side of things. There is also a small amount of Coolant pooling on the intake Manifold by the thermostat housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Intake manifold gasket replaced, one of the bolt holes has slightly damaged threads on the head so when the last guy installed the gasket the bolt felt tight before it was actually touching the manifold causing a leak between #1 and the big water passages so water and air we're getting into #1. Replaced with a bolt 5mm shorter than stock and everything seems to be great now with slightly more power and no leaks (that we know of yet ;)).

Also it seems to have a maladjusted float level, no fuel pressure regulator, the wrong jets, and some other stuff. So it has a top speed of 55 uphill and if you floor it you get gnarly intake mani backfires but only if not on level ground. 

The rear gears in this one seems to be rather high, havn't check the ratio yet but it's like 2200 rpm at 25 mph in second. Speedometer is accurate so tires size does not seem to be causing that

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...