Vacuum delete on Cal smog 6-wire carb

matrophy

I bought an 85 720 King Cab that a neighbor had in his field for 10+ years. It runs pretty well considering and it is running a 6-wire Cal smog Hitachi carb.

The vacuum lines are in pretty sorry shape and rather than replacing them, I'm wonder if I can delete them.

Since the car is running the ECCS system I'm not sure if removing all the vaccum lines would affect the engine since it still has the Hitachi carb

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure it will interfere, since the carburetor operates based on signal from the oxygen sensor, and adjusts accordingly via the mixture control solenoid. most the vacuum stuff will alter the emission reading if removed. best to install a Weber and then go about deleting anything else that isn't required if you don't need to worry about emissions.

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 2
On 7/29/2021 at 3:49 PM, A guy named Rick said:

Pretty sure it will interfere, since the carburetor operates based on signal from the oxygen sensor, and adjusts accordingly via the mixture control solenoid. most the vacuum stuff will alter the emission reading if removed. best to install a Weber and then go about deleting anything else that isn't required if you don't need to worry about emissions.

Kinda what I figured. The PO took a silly straw (no joke) and bent over one end with electrical tape to cap off one of the lines so I figured I'd probably have to embark on the laborious process of tracing and replacing the lines. Hoping I could take the easy way out

On 7/29/2021 at 4:45 PM, datzenmike said:

It's rubber hose, how much can 8 feet cost? You said it runs pretty good.

lmao Mike you know it's more than 8 feet if everything is replaced.

.Yeah yeah. I know. It's just a PITA

i mean honestly it's not too bad, but then again i've gone through the process, then put a weber on, put hitachi back, put weber on again, so i've had a little practice. Do you have the link to the Vac line replacement tutorial? it really helps, though it can get a little confusing. i kind of want to draw something else to make it a little more understanding, but i suck at drawing. Maybe i'll make some sort of photoshop thing.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-720-pickup-truck-vacuum-hose-routing-and-repair-guide.html

• Like 1
On 7/29/2021 at 5:41 PM, A guy named Rick said:

i mean honestly it's not too bad, but then again i've gone through the process, then put a weber on, put hitachi back, put weber on again, so i've had a little practice. Do you have the link to the Vac line replacement tutorial? it really helps, though it can get a little confusing. i kind of want to draw something else to make it a little more understanding, but i suck at drawing. Maybe i'll make some sort of photoshop thing.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-720-pickup-truck-vacuum-hose-routing-and-repair-guide.html

Those fastboatman tutorials are lifesavers No joke! though a little confusing at times like i said, but it helped me out for sure.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...