The Dusty 610

Hi everyone been a while since i was on here last but thought i would give it another try, the facebook groups have sucked lately so what the hell.  I have been waiting for a 2 door hardtop 610 in good condition to come for sale for some time.  Luck would have it i found just what i was looking for in New Mexico. Living in cali i thought i would found one here but no such luck.  I found it over a facebook group talked to the previous owner and i struck a deal.  About a week later it was on its way to cali. Here are some pictures the previous owner sent me when i was first interested in it. Stay tuned since i have had the car for about a month now and have done a fair amount of work.  i will try to post everyday until i'm all caught up. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.15.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.16.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.16.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.19.19 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put the year of your 610 in your profile, it will make discussions about it easier and save asking. I think that is a '74 which is the first use of the 'new' L20B engine. I like the interior and think of the 610 as the original 200sx. I've said this before... automatics are survivors. They are hard to abuse and drive the crap out of. Nice example.

19 hours ago, gmkeegan said:

Hi everyone been a while since i was on here last but thought i would give it another try, the facebook groups have sucked lately so what the hell.  I have been waiting for a 2 door hardtop 610 in good condition to come for sale for some time.  Luck would have it i found just what i was looking for in New Mexico. Living in cali i thought i would found one here but no such luck.  I found it over a facebook group talked to the previous owner and i struck a deal.  About a week later it was on its way to cali. Here are some pictures the previous owner sent me when i was first interested in it. Stay tuned since i have had the car for about a month now and have done a fair amount of work.  i will try to post everyday until i'm all caught up. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.15.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.16.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.16.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.19.19 PM.png

That is freaking stunning! I wish I'd been able to find one like that in Aust, but they nearly all got rallied to death. Come to think of it, I've never seen a poverty pack 610 coupe. We only got SSS 2 doors here and we never got those tail lights. That motor looks just like the L18 in my 510. I'd say that's what it is. Unfortunately, the auto trans is a dog. I owned a 610 auto for about a week when I was 21. That trans literally sucks the life out of the motor. There's plenty of low down torque in first, but beyond that, it's horrible. I can see why you wouldn't want to manual swap it though. That car is cherry! How many miles has it done?

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Put the year of your 610 in your profile, it will make discussions about it easier and save asking. I think that is a '74 which is the first use of the 'new' L20B engine. I like the interior and think of the 610 as the original 200sx. I've said this before... automatics are survivors. They are hard to abuse and drive the crap out of. Nice example.

Yes its a 1974 610 with the L20b. It's not going to be an auto for much longer. 

• Like 1

I think I may know the guy you bought this from. Does he have a green 1200 Sedan also? Automatic? New Mexico?

Sumbitch. If that is the car I think it is, I stalked it for about 10 years.

24 minutes ago, slowlearner said:

That is freaking stunning! I wish I'd been able to find one like that in Aust, but they nearly all got rallied to death. Come to think of it, I've never seen a poverty pack 610 coupe. We only got SSS 2 doors here and we never got those tail lights. That motor looks just like the L18 in my 510. I'd say that's what it is. Unfortunately, the auto trans is a dog. I owned a 610 auto for about a week when I was 21. That trans literally sucks the life out of the motor. There's plenty of low down torque in first, but beyond that, it's horrible. I can see why you wouldn't want to manual swap it though. That car is cherry! How many miles has it done?

The milage is said to be 76,000 miles i don't know how true it is. That being said it has the L20b and will have a manual trans i hope soon. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, KELMO said:

I think I may know the guy you bought this from. Does he have a green 1200 Sedan also? Automatic? New Mexico?

Sumbitch. If that is the car I think it is, I stalked it for about 10 years.

lol yes this is the same car. 

Delivery day felt like it took forever, probably because the delivery guy said he would have it to me the next day and ended up taking 5 days.  Never the less i was excited to have it in my hands.  At first glance it looked just like the pictures but with more door dents and random dents around the car then i expected. That being said she fired right up and purred like a Cat! Overall i was very pleased with the purchase and had no complaints.  Last picture is my garage where she will get a lot of love that she deserves.

IMG_9479.jpeg

IMG_9454.jpeg

IMG_9455.jpeg

• Like 1
On 7/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, datzenmike said:

The good news is the automatic got a 3.90 rear gear while the manual got the 3.70. If you put a manual in it will already have a leg up on the gearing over all other 610 manuals.

sweet that is great news! i plan on putting in a 5 speed out of a 720 4X4.  

After getting her the first day she needed a bath really bad! i have had plenty of desert car but this one takes the cake! This was the dustiest car i have had year to date. the trunk was cover, floor matts and worst was under the crawl where the windshield wiper linkage goes. Take a look for yourself from the pictures, with a little soap and lot of water she cleaned up pretty well in my eyes. 

IMG_9496.jpeg

IMG_9490.jpeg

IMG_9513.jpeg

IMG_9510.jpeg

Also i was able to replace the broken aftermarket antenna with a NOS OEM one, and clean up the inside of the car from the random junk and trash. Also any datsun i tend to get, there is always aftermarket wiring under the dash that need to be removed.... is it just me ?

IMG_9491.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.57.49 PM.png

17 minutes ago, gmkeegan said:

sweet that is great news! i plan on putting in a 5 speed out of a 720 4X4.  

An '80 is the only year that would work. A 2wd would be better as the transmission has a speedometer drive in it, the 4x4 doesn't as it's driven from the transfer case. Also the transmission should be 31.5" long.

14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

An '80 is the only year that would work. A 2wd would be better as the transmission has a speedometer drive in it, the 4x4 doesn't as it's driven from the transfer case. Also the transmission should be 31.5" long.

i thought both 610 and 710 ran the short transmission ? the 26" am i wrong ?

55 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Here is the trans and here is the speedo cog style i was going to use.  i thought it would bolt right in... does it not

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.54.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.54.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.53.43 PM.png

The 610 is unique among Datsuns. The stock 4 speed and automatic are 31.5" long same as all L series 71B 4 and 5 speeds.

This is a 'shorty' from a 720 and though it is a length match (26") for most car four speeds, it also bolts to a Z series engine not an L series. The front case would need to be swapped to an L series to fit your engine.

This is easy to check out. Just run a tape measure from the front of the transmission you have to where the driveshaft joins the rear. It will be 31.5"

Here is an actual 610 4 speed...

2EGsY9X.jpg

Compare it to a regular 4 speed from a 510 or 710...

Lf7AWKG.jpg

I can also confirm that the 610 has the longer trans. I swapped the 4 speed in my wagon with a wide ratio 5 speed from a 280Z I had laying around. It also means that you can run the late zx close ratio trans which has a better gear spread and higher OD in 5th.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The 610 is unique among Datsuns. The stock 4 speed and automatic are 31.5" long same as all L series 71B 4 and 5 speeds.

This is a 'shorty' from a 720 and though it is a length match (26") for most car four speeds, it also bolts to a Z series engine not an L series. The front case would need to be swapped to an L series to fit your engine.

This is easy to check out. Just run a tape measure from the front of the transmission you have to where the driveshaft joins the rear. It will be 31.5"

Here is an actual 610 4 speed...

2EGsY9X.jpg

Compare it to a regular 4 speed from a 510 or 710...

Lf7AWKG.jpg

Wow i would have never guessed. i was planing on measuring it to insure but now i know. I'm still looking to pick up the trans for another car picture below. So back to the original question? am i able to run that speedo cog in the 4x4 trans ? it looks like there is a spot of it? and the cog looks like it would fit it... but i have never done it and don't know if thats even where it would go?

IMG_9621.jpeg

4 hours ago, lowrider said:

I can also confirm that the 610 has the longer trans. I swapped the 4 speed in my wagon with a wide ratio 5 speed from a 280Z I had laying around. It also means that you can run the late zx close ratio trans which has a better gear spread and higher OD in 5th.

i have a close ratio laying around so i guess i know what car i am putting it in now lol. 

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The 4x4 transmission case has the boss but it's not precision milled out for the speedo pinion. Why would Nissan waste the time and drill a hole that has to be plugged to keep the oil in? The speedometer pinion is mounted in the transfer case on the 4x4s. 

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The L and the Z series engines are about 20 degrees different in their mounting positions. The Z series will bolt to an L series engine but the transmission will be twisted 20 degrees to the right with the shifter in the passenger seat and the mount unable to bolt up. The front case half from any L series 71B transmission will convert to L series fit.

Here is a shorty with an L series case. It's also from a 2wd so it does have a speedometer pinion in the tail.

CaPuYjt.jpg

Again this transmission is too short for a 610 but would replace the 4 speed in that white 710. Unless it's an automatic???

5 hours ago, lowrider said:

Thee '77-'78 280z 5 speeds were all mid ratio. If it had a wide ratio then it came out of a '79 620 or an '80 720 truck. Easy enough to confirm what you have. Mark the input and output splines, place in first gear, turn input 20 times while counting the output turns...

5.5 turns.......... wide ratio with 3.592 first gear

6.0 turns.......... mid ratio with 3.321 first gear

6.5 turns.......... close ratio with 3.062 first gear

Just a quick side note... the speedometer pinion and gear on the short 71b is a unique assembly....

They are not the same as the ones used in the 71b transmissions from the z cars and 620 and whatever else they came in....

I'm not sure if its just the short tails that were different but i know the one they use are longer ....

15 hours ago, gmkeegan said:

Here is the trans and here is the speedo cog style i was going to use.  i thought it would bolt right in... does it not

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.54.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.53.43 PM.png

Something didn't seem right about this.... 1st i have never seen that speedometer gear assembly....

2nd the place your referring to installing that on the transmission is the 5th/r lock out not the speedometer drive location.....

The 4x4 drive is in the transfer case... 

This is what the correct speedo drive looks like....

20210720_170914.jpg