DGRfab 521 SR20DET

DAN'S ON RATSUN! :D:D:D:D

It's gotten a little out of hand, yes :D but right the first time is the plan, right?
]

Quick story (I'm sure everyone's getting tire of my soap box :) ): This is how I knew that I went to the right shop. Orginally, we were just going to run a hot pipe straight to the turbo without an intercooler, and either I would finish off the intercooler or take it back to Dan. After the motor was back in for final mounting late last week, Dan said, "If we're going to do this, let's do it right. I'll get that intercooler in there." Rather than chilling on the weekend, he spent the entire weekend cutting, fitting, re-fitting, welding, refitting, etc. the intercooler and modding the radiator end tanks and outlets to fit. Just so it could be done right and be done in time for me get the truck back before I have to return my buddy's car at the end of this week. And then Dan was telling me he felt really bad that truck wasn't going to be done sooner!

People probably gonna start calling me the DGR PR fanboy, but I've been so impressed with DGR. At least in my experience with all the crap shops and people I've met over the last few years, it's rare these days to meet guys with the "Do it Right or Don't Do it at All" attitude to quality.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2 PC driveshaft was retained, because the rear will go thru some revision in the future, so spending big bucks on a custom one PC driveshaft didn't make sense. Yet. :) WHAT is going in the rear end? Wouldn't you like to know. Unless Joma wants to tell you....

Ha Ha, Dan's building the suspense!

There's been alot of ideas bouncing around about what to do with the rear end. I ultimately want something that can handle the power output of a Disco Potato (GT2860RS) or GT2871RS at most which is more than enough than I can handle for a daily driver. It's going to be a narrowed something eventually, but seeing Daniel's road-race 510 and talking about it today got me sold.

What do you think, Dan? Roll it under the truck tomorrow for a teaser pic? :D

I'll give a hint. It's starts with and "S" and ends with a "teen"...

Man this is a great read! Keep the pics coming to buddy :)

That means alot coming from you. I musta read your SR wiring how to twenty times just see what I would have to do to make my own harness and see what kind of time I would need to finish it.

I hope that people find the info on this project useful. And what better way than pics (ofcourse I'm biased because I learn best by visuals :P )

I think I just wet my pants.

This is exactly what I want to do with my 521, but I though it would be more difficult. I have the SR block already sitting in my garage.

I just wanna ask you something.

the down pipe doesnt fit due to the frame only, or the frame and the torsion bar?

I give you props, I might drop by your shop someday.

I just wanna ask you something.

the down pipe doesnt fit due to the frame only, or the frame and the torsion rod?

When the stock turbine elbow was test fitted, the edge of the flange contacted the frame. The OE downpipe wasn't fitted because I wanted to do a custom 3" dwonpipe anyway so I dunno if the torsion rods would have hit the downpipe. Sorry, I'll edit the first post to clarify that.

If Dan doesn't chime in on here, I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I visit the shop. I'll also post pics when the custom 3" downpipe is done so you can see how it runs clearance wise...

When the stock turbine elbow was test fitted, the edge of the flange contacted the frame. The OE downpipe wasn't fitted because I wanted to do a custom 3" dwonpipe anyway so I dunno if the torsion rods would have hit the downpipe. Sorry, I'll edit the first post to clarify that.

If Dan doesn't chime in on here, I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I visit the shop. I'll also post pics when the custom 3" downpipe is done so you can see how it runs clearance wise...

Yeah, I was wondering if removing the torsion bar would leave enough space for a 3" downpipe.

Also, how many inches back did you cut the tranny tunnel for the shifter? (I beleive the sr20 transmission is longer) I don't wanna get rid of my bench seat, thats why im wondering where the shiffter sits.

Did you do any modifications to the firewall?

Can you please take a few pictures of how the wastegauge was modified?

how much was the driveshaft shortened?

Are you using an s13 radiator?

Do you have enough rooom for dual electric fans?

Thanks, keep it up.

Yeah, I was wondering if removing the torsion bar would leave enough space for a 3" downpipe.

Also, how many inches back did you cut the tranny tunnel for the shifter? (I beleive the sr20 transmission is longer) I don't wanna get rid of my bench seat, thats why im wondering where the shiffter sits.

Did you do any modifications to the firewall?

Can you please take a few pictures of how the wastegauge was modified?

how much was the driveshaft shortened?

Do you have enough rooom for dual electric fans?

Thanks, keep it up.

trans tunnel needs alot of work i dont think a bench will fit to well it may fit but 2nd and 4th will hit i think

firewall is stock

a 3 inch down pipe does fit between the tortion bar and frame

drive shaft was a few inches shorter but you have to change to a regular yolk

custom radiator

no room for dual fans one is enough that rad is good for 500 hp on a v8

Daniel

dgr fab

(joma i am on here also now )ha ha

Yep, the wagon has sat like that for 2 years. Someday. I'll get the boat and the go kart thingy done first. The 521 is coming along. Bunch of work to get this thing going, but MAN is it going to be worth it. It's gotten a little out of hand, yes :D but right the first time is the plan, right? Should run tomorrow, drive by (hopefully) Thursday evening...

Dan

I just have to say your work is awesome!! Sometimes I call myself a fabricator, I get reminded I'm not when I see your work :D You should start a thread for all the shop projects with tons of pics :) Please hehe

The 2 PC driveshaft was retained, because the rear will go thru some revision in the future, so spending big bucks on a custom one PC driveshaft didn't make sense. Yet. :) WHAT is going in the rear end? Wouldn't you like to know. Unless Joma wants to tell you....

Cool, that means you could buy a Persions Gear LSD and test the strength of the stock H190. I like others would like to know how much a H190 with a LSD can hold.

DAN'S ON RATSUN! :D:D:D:D

]

Quick story (I'm sure everyone's getting tire of my soap box :) ): This is how I knew that I went to the right shop. Orginally, we were just going to run a hot pipe straight to the turbo without an intercooler, and either I would finish off the intercooler or take it back to Dan. After the motor was back in for final mounting late last week, Dan said, "If we're going to do this, let's do it right. I'll get that intercooler in there." Rather than chilling on the weekend, he spent the entire weekend cutting, fitting, re-fitting, welding, refitting, etc. the intercooler and modding the radiator end tanks and outlets to fit. Just so it could be done right and be done in time for me get the truck back before I have to return my buddy's car at the end of this week. And then Dan was telling me he felt really bad that truck wasn't going to be done sooner!

People probably gonna start calling me the DGR PR fanboy, but I've been so impressed with DGR. At least in my experience with all the crap shops and people I've met over the last few years, it's rare these days to meet guys with the "Do it Right or Don't Do it at All" attitude to quality.

Dam even I hate working the weekends :D

I could change you "title" from "hall monitor" to "DGR PR fanboy" if you want :D

Ha Ha, Dan's building the suspense!

There's been alot of ideas bouncing around about what to do with the rear end. I ultimately want something that can handle the power output of a Disco Potato (GT2860RS) or GT2871RS at most which is more than enough than I can handle for a daily driver. It's going to be a narrowed something eventually, but seeing Daniel's road-race 510 and talking about it today got me sold.

What do you think, Dan? Roll it under the truck tomorrow for a teaser pic? :D

I'll give a hint. It's starts with and "S" and ends with a "teen"...

The s**teen suspension would be SICK!!! There is a dude up here with it on his dime. Getting the weight transfer to the back is going to be tuff on a 521. First off there isn't much weight to transfer :D hehe With GT28 you will be putting down some nice power, gotta get it to the ground. Just thinking of that much power in a 521 makes me nervous... In a good way :)

That means alot coming from you. I musta read your SR wiring how to twenty times just see what I would have to do to make my own harness and see what kind of time I would need to finish it.

I hope that people find the info on this project useful. And what better way than pics (ofcourse I'm biased because I learn best by visuals :P )

Thank you for posting it here! I feel honored :D I put more time/money into this web sight (just forums at the moment :( ) than some cars I own. Thanks dude :)

trans tunnel needs alot of work i dont think a bench will fit to well it may fit but 2nd and 4th will hit i think

I don't know if it will work but the 620's came with a bench with a notch. Naz used a toyota bench in his because of the notch. I have no idea if it will work with a s13 trans since they are so long but it would be your best bet.

i think you have to do trans tunnel mods in almost

any datsun to fit a sr gear box

and shorten the drive shaft

you can use a L gear box behind an sr but that seams like going backwards to me

the whole point of going sr is to have a faster newer drive train and i think the sr trans feels way better then any L box

also with alot of power all the stock size boxes are too week

the only ones i would want to put 300hp to is maybe a coupple of z tranies that are almost the same size as a sr box

i will get some pics of the shifter up latter this week to show the shifter

Daniel

Dgr Fab

I'm with Daniel on this one. The SR is a power house, I wouldn't trust a L gear box behind it for a second.. Then add the GT28.... I used a L box behind my KA24E for a simpler install, with 150hp it shouldn't have to big a problem since the L28 was about that.

Just wanted to clarify, the elbow downpipe flange hits the upper control arm. Based on the angle of how the elbow would fit assuming the UCA wasn't there, the stock downpipe bolted looks like it would run right through the frame. Sorry for the confusion. This build's been happening so fast that some things are starting to blur...

how does the shifter look with the s13 shift rod. im curious

Ask and ye shall receive...

EDIT: misread the part about the shifter/shift rod. Maybe the pic can help ya visualize...

trannytunnel.jpg

Yup, I'll definately need to bend some sheet metal when I get my rig back :D

Just a little bit more about the radiator:

It's Griffin 24"wide x 15.5" tall. I thinks it 2.5" or 3" thick. It's been modded like crazy though: endtanks notched for charge pipe clearance, bung for fan switch, and outlets moved/reangled. I guess you could run a S13 Koyo rad, but it all depends on how you're going to set-up your intecooler (i.e. side mount, air-to-h20, retain the high beams vs. run charge pipe through high beam bucket, etc.)...

I don't wanna get rid of my bench seat, thats why im wondering where the shiffter sits.

I have a benchseat sitting at home which I prefer. I dunno. For me, it wouldn't feel like a truck without a benchseat, but common sense would say to leave some kind of buckets with headrests for safety and comfort. Then again, common sense left the building about a week ago :eek:

Daniel

dgr fab

(joma i am on here also now )ha ha

HA HA DANIEL'S ON HERE TOO! Oh, man... things are gonna get insane now

You should tell everyone about your road race 510 "scraper" project :D:D:D:D

Ooooh, he's gonna be mad at me now... :o

The s**teen suspension would be SICK!!! There is a dude up here with it on his dime. Getting the weight transfer to the back is going to be tuff on a 521. First off there isn't much weight to transfer :D hehe With GT28 you will be putting down some nice power, gotta get it to the ground. Just thinking of that much power in a 521 makes me nervous... In a good way :)

It's funny you mentioned that cause Dan was mentioning that they make rubber bladders that drop into the bed and fill with water for better weight transfer...

Mmmmm... BURN OUTS :D

UPDATE

Fuel lines are making progress

fuellinesinprogress_01.jpg

fuellinesinprogress_02.jpg

Battery mounted

batterymounted_01.jpg

batterymounted_02.jpg

Downpipe flange mounted to start mocking up the rest of it

downpipeflangemounted.jpg

How she looks so far:

newvalvecover.jpg

Motor's all wired up and just need the fuel pump wired up to fire up!

Quick pic of another project's motor. Powedercoated goodness!

projectmotor.jpg

Then again, common sense left the building about a week ago :eek:

I'm glad this thread/project is awesome!!!

You should tell everyone about your road race 510 "scraper" project :D:D:D:D

Do tell :D

It's funny you mentioned that cause Dan was mentioning that they make rubber bladders that drop into the bed and fill with water for better weight transfer...

Mmmmm... BURN OUTS :D

I knew of a S-10 with rail road ties bolted into the bed :)