Vin Locations

I have an 84 4x4 720, it is missing the vin from the dash. I am assuming it was lost while replacing the dash because the previous owner used it as a farm truck and probably didnt care to swap the vin plate. The vin number on the door jamb has also worn off and i was just wondering if there are some other locations the vin number is recorded on these trucks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not real sure on the 720, but....

Some of the older Datsuns would have the # on the cowl (header panel between the fenders below the windshield in the engine compartment).

Have you looked a the frame rails close to the engine compartment?

Hang around a bit, there are a few 720 guys around here (Charlie? Are you gettin' this?) that are way more versed in 720's than I am.

Being an '84 it will have the 17 digit VIN system. Will possibly start JN4 or 1N4.....possibly.

• Like 2

Do you know the number that's missing?

Look for the vehicle identification plate plastic riveted to the passenger side inner fender below the hood hinge.

JN6 (made in Japan commercial vehicle)

N (Z24)

DO (720)

6 (king cab)

Y (4x4)

X (check digit)

E ('84)

W (Kyushu plant)

301206 (serial number)

buF8TkE.jpg

• Like 2

i do have the previous vin from when it was last registered. the plate on the inner fender is not there, there are also no holes for where it may have previously been riveted. I have an 83 with the plate on the fender and i checked the same spot on the 84 and nothing, no holes no bumps, just flat metal.

• Like 1

There are numbers on the top of the passenger side frame rail underneath the 2 vacuum switches.  There are numbers on the engine block between I believe #2 & #3 spark plugs.

The top of the radiator frame is stamped #s that will trace back to the original VIN #. 

Here in AZ Motor Vehicle Department would verify the #s available and then put a AZ MVD VIN sticker on the drivers door jamb.  Te 1985 I had done this way was missing the Dash VIN but the door jamb and the frame VIN were present so AZ MVD assigned the original VIN to the sticker they placed on the door jamb.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

idk why, but the vin on my dash is different than the door jam and the passenger inner fender. yet the mileage matches up with what the current mileage should be at, according to the history report of the vehicle at times of owner changes. maybe they replaced the dash, and kept the gauges. my dash is cracked and needing replacing currently though.

• Like 1

Well this begs the additional question.... do those both match the car number stamp on the frame. Use wire brush. It's on top of the right frame rail just forward of the engine mount before the alternator.

• Like 1

I would do as Mike suggested and check the frame also.

What it looks like happened was someone changed the dash but used the instrument cluster that belonged to the truck.  This is why the mileage would be correct. 

I would have changed the dash VIN plate when I changed the dash.

I'm honestly not too worried about it anyways. This truck is a mystery. Became a junked vehicle in 2009, this guy gets ahold of it on 2011, sells it to me in 2012. Had been repainted, looked alright, body is fairly straight, but drivers door is different color on inside. Looks like fenders were changed, possibly front bumper brackets. It has salvage/junk vehicle title but no accident on file. 

But, 128,000 miles. Definitely needs to tlc too. You live and learn. I was a dumb 21 year old lookin for a mini truck to have some fun with and may have got in too far over my head at the time. These are starting to become more sought after and I would rather put money into it and hang on to it. Plus insurance is like $20 a month lol 

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1