Steering column swap thoughts

livemeyer

I have located a complete 85 KC ST model and plan to remove the entire steering column (including tilt), steering box, lines, pump and reservoir to mount on my standard cab that has non-power steering.  Not only do I want to do this to have power and tilt steering, but also to retire the original steering box that after 260k has become pretty sloppy.  Rumor has it the steering columns are different lengths?  If so I'm having a hard time understanding why this might be, if the engine bay size is the same across all models.  Maybe that's only an issue if you're crossing up steering parts between a non-power and a power steering unit.  Or are there other issues to be concerned about?   

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes get the complete column all the way to the gear box.  Also the combination switch on the tilt column is a smaller diameter hole than the the non tilt column.

Is the ST and automatic trans?

You will need the top alternator (slotted) bracket also.

Edited by Charlie69
26 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Yes get the complete column all the way to the gear box.  Also the combination switch on the tilt column is a smaller diameter hole than the the non tilt column.

Is the ST and automatic trans?

You will need the top alternator (slotted) bracket also.

Good to know about the alternator bracket, I was looking at the truck I'm going to take the steering from, and I wandered if that alternator bracket was the same or different than the one in my truck.  Now I know that I'll need to grab that too.  (Basically, I arrived too late in the day at the wrecking yard to pull everything I want, and now I have to go back next free day I have).

The ST is an auto trans, why?

• Like 1

Because I need a couple of parts from an automatic.  The wiring harness section the plugs in by the battery and feeds the starter, the alternator, the temp & oil senders, and the wires that go down to the switches on the transmisssion.  That complete harness is what I am needing if it is in good shape.

I believe I have a tilt steering column off of an 83 model. I don’t have the gearbox but I have everything from after the steering wheel to the knuckle that connects to the steering box. I’m not in need of it because it won’t fit my 82. It is shorter and the connection the to the steering box isn’t the same

• Like 1
On 5/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, Lockleaf said:

Is the steering wheel the ST model?  If so PM me, I am looking to pick up another one.

I'm planning to use my stock (base) steering wheel.  Unfortunately the pick n pull steering column already had the ST wheel picked, otherwise I'd have offered it to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, livemeyer said:

I'm planning to use my stock (base) steering wheel.  Unfortunately the pick n pull steering column already had the ST wheel picked, otherwise I'd have offered it to you.

I bought the parts I needed for a similar swap at the wrecking yard a while ago. I have an 86 2WD with manual steering. I got a non-tilt column, pump, box, lines and what seems like 40 brackets off of an 83 4WD truck. From what research I've done so far, the power steering box is bigger so the column is shorter. I have been told that I need to swap the Pitman arm as the 4WD arm is different than the 2WD arm.  I'd be interested to hear how your swap goes and maybe we can help each other work through it. I'm struggling with issues with my new Weber carb now but the PS swap is next on the list.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, matrophy said:

I bought the parts I needed for a similar swap at the wrecking yard a while ago. I have an 86 2WD with manual steering. I got a non-tilt column, pump, box, lines and what seems like 40 brackets off of an 83 4WD truck. From what research I've done so far, the power steering box is bigger so the column is shorter. I have been told that I need to swap the Pitman arm as the 4WD arm is different than the 2WD arm.  I'd be interested to hear how your swap goes and maybe we can help each other work through it. I'm struggling with issues with my new Weber carb now but the PS swap is next on the list.

That’s cool, and yes we may be able to help each other out.  I had a hell of a time getting the pitman arm broke loose from the center link at the wrecking yard, and even then dropping the steering box through the gap between the fender and frame rail was a pain.  I think I won’t be dealing with a size issue on the swap since my truck is 2wd and the ST I was robbing from was also 2wd, but we will see.  I won’t be getting to this project very soon as I am taking vacation next week and when I get back the work grind takes over for a little while.  But at least, I know that when I do, I’ll be in the relative comfort of my driveway, with the truck up on jackstands, not like at pick n pull laying in the dirt and mud, trying to take parts off a rusty truck that appears to have been sitting under a tree for 15 years.

• Like 1

I do not believe you can use a 4wd column as the rag joint is on the steering gear and it will hit the upper control arm on a 2wd truck(I dare you to ask me how I know), you need the 2wd power steering column with the rag joint near the firewall and the knuckle on the power steering gear.

20 hours ago, matrophy said:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wayno said:

I do not believe you can use a 4wd column as the rag joint is on the steering gear and it will hit the upper control arm on a 2wd truck(I dare you to ask me how I know), you need the 2wd power steering column with the rag joint near the firewall and the knuckle on the power steering gear.

Yikes

• Like 1
22 hours ago, wayno said:

As it turns out both the 83 4WD and my 86 2WD steering columns are configured the same way with the rag joint closest to the firewall and the u-joint on the box. Hopefully I'm not missing something and I can do the swap OK still.

• Like 1