New member here!

What’s up fellow Datsun owners. I just purchased a 77 Datsun 620 King cab Deluxe. Figured I’d  introduce myself to the OGs. I purchased this truck as my daily/project. I plan to keep it as original as possible with few tasteful mods. The OG L20B runs like a champ and trans shifts smoothly. Overall truck is in it’s original state. No rust/cancer as it’s a Cali truck. With that being said, I went to smog the truck and it failed due to the previous owner removed the Evap canister and timing is off. I’ve been searching for a new canister that’ll fit but no luck yet. I found one on eBay that’s specific for 72-79 620s but I’m not sure if it’s functioning. I also found on for a 720 but I’m not sure if it’ll work properly with my 620. Apologies for the long post, and if I posted in the right page. Looking forward to talking with y’all and possibly make some friendships here. Thanks 

• Like 2
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, sounds like you got a winner. Hopefully you'll be able to post pics shortly.  🙂

As far as the Evap canister, not much to go wrong. They are essentially a charcoal air filter for the fuel system vapors. 

Welcome!

You could probably use any charcoal canister in this case. Just as long as it's fitted with one. 

I've got a KC 620 waiting in the weeds for me to build. Looking forward to seeing yours.

I've moved you to the 620 section. The Classifieds Discussion is for discussion of the classifieds. Here you will get a lot more views from fellow 620 owners.

The canister is operated by the vacuum advance signal so if the PO removed it and didn't plug the hose your vacuum advance won't be working. Look for a canister with Vacuum, Purge and Fuel Tank Vent connections. If Corona is in California you may need an additional inlet for carburetor float chamber vapors. Maybe put the state you are in. California vehicles have many differences than the other 48

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Welcome, sounds like you got a winner. Hopefully you'll be able to post pics shortly.  🙂

As far as the Evap canister, not much to go wrong. They are essentially a charcoal air filter for the fuel system vapors. 

Thanks for the quick response. I can’t figure out how to upload pics using a url. Not too tech savvy.

35 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I've moved you to the 620 section. The Classifieds Discussion is for discussion of the classifieds. Here you will get a lot more views from fellow 620 owners.

The canister is operated by the vacuum advance signal so if the PO removed it and didn't plug the hose your vacuum advance won't be working. Look for a canister with Vacuum, Purge and Fuel Tank Vent connections. If Corona is in California you may need an additional inlet for carburetor float chamber vapors. Maybe put the state you are in. California vehicles have many differences than the other 48

Thanks Mike! I see you’re the Datsun guru! 

I am located in California, and the truck is a California truck. The PO removed the entire canister and hoses. Smog technician said it’s completely gone. I then checked and didn’t see anything. 

what other components would I need besides the canister itself? 

On 5/4/2021 at 5:27 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

sell the truck to someone in Washngton we got rid of smog test this year.

I wonder if you have a shopthat could lean it down via the mixture screw on the carb and retest. Or thu do a visual. But I dont know how they would know if it wa there anyways if you just do a pipe check.

Haha dumb Cali emissions lol. I just missed it by one year. 

So I’m going to go ahead and buy a timing chain kit since the timing is off. I might as well install a new kit. Do y’all recommend any specific brands? I googled it and a bunch come up. I’m not familiar with any of the brands that come up. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks fellas!

Timing? The timing chain only adjusts for cam timing. Ignition timing is driven off the crankshaft in a separate location. The timing chain does have a procedure to see if the cam timing is out due to 'chain stretch' or wear, or having the head milled and there is an adjustment to correct it. Ignition timing is adjusted by loosening the distributor and turning it clockwise to advance and counter clockwise to retard.

Changing the timing chain when it's not needed risks broken or lost bolts, gasket leaks etc. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Get anything that is 'Made in Japan'

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Timing? The timing chain only adjusts for cam timing. Ignition timing is driven off the crankshaft in a separate location. The timing chain does have a procedure to see if the cam timing is out due to 'chain stretch' or wear, or having the head milled and there is an adjustment to correct it. Ignition timing is adjusted by loosening the distributor and turning it clockwise to advance and counter clockwise to retard.

Changing the timing chain when it's not needed risks broken or lost bolts, gasket leaks etc. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Get anything that is 'Made in Japan'

Thanks Mike!  Oddly enough the smog technician failed it because he said timing was off, “ it’s at 20 but supposed to be at 10” is what he said. He also noted that the hose that goes to the air filter was “tampered” with because PO put electrical tape on the clamp side. And he said the Evap canister wasn’t there but I was looking through it last night, the canister is there with all lines attached and going to the correct locations.  

I’m going to take the truck to a mechanic and have him check it out. 

Timing for the L20B is 12 degrees BTDC. It will run much better at 12.

Normally the hose between valve cover and the under side of the air filter housing is just push on. Maybe it was replaced but clamps aren't usually needed. Well next time you can show him where the canister is.