Ratsun to Datsun Makeover San Diego Edition

71DIMER

Guest jaimesix

72240z.

Rest assured your comments did not sound demeaning nor condescending at all.

I read constructive criticism. That is what friends and people with more knowledge than others say to people they care about. Some of the members here are strong at building engines, others at swapping engines, others at body work, others at suspension upgrades, painting, etc, as many specialties as imaginationm and dedication can create.

Constructive criticism can be misconstrued by the receptor, but I can see this is not the case of a member putting down another member.

In my opinion this car looks good, plenty of TLC by its owner, looks like good standards are being applied to the project, so I join the advice, this car and the dedication being given to it goes far beyond what that patch looked like.

Judging from the 2 photos, did not look good. But the owner says the area was sealed, the photos did not show that up, so if that patched area ended up being sealed, that would be great.

We are looking for advice in here right?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man thats a sweet 510! i kinda like that intake hole on the hood. kind of inconspicuous. those wheels are badass too!!

keep up the good work!!

Thanks Farmer Joe. When I first got this 510 (this is my 3rd) I wasn't a big fan of that intake...now it's one of my favorite things on it. Yeah I love the 16" Panasports. I got them to replace my 15" Watanbes so they'd fill the bubble flares a little better.

BTW guys I posted my thread to get some ideas on color not to get negative comments (and yes Jaimesix, they came off that way...using a word like 'terrible' is not what I consider constructive). I'd rather have those via PM to me or to Pac Coast so they don't clutter up the thread with a bunch of back and forth like its already starting to do. I now know 72240Z didn't mean anything bad, based on his later posts (and our PM). He's welcome to post but I hope we all can keep it positive, after all this thread is just us sharing what we all love...working on our Ratsuns right?

I'd like to continue to thank Mark for all his hard work. I was only being the labor for the 3 days we worked together since I'm not the one with any bodywork skills. I left San Diego on Wed and flew home and left my 510 at his place. He's doing the rest of the work (final prep, masking, painting, etx) on his own time and by himself. He's going totally above and beyond, even by friend standards...I'd be there helping but I had to come back home to work. It sucks being over 440 miles away. I sure he'll post more pics as he gets a chance too. I know I'm dying to see any progress.

Edited by 71DIMER
Mario i did work on it all morning today. Just doing last minute details..oh BTW paint day has been moved up to Tuesday due to work shcedules :rolleyes:

Mark,

You are the man. That's great you stepping up to do all that for a fellow ratsun member.

P.S. I have a nice race car that needs repainted. :lol:

pcd, you run a body shop?

Hahaha...do the pics look like it's at a bodyshop? We did the bodywork at his place (home) but we're renting a paint booth for the spraying of the paint.

Inline4 - sometimes my house feels like a body shop :cool:

ppeters914 - todya i had to wear pants it got down to 63 ;)

Well tomorrow is paint day so i did all the last minute prep stuff. Dont worry Mario i wont give away the color....:rollseyes:

cleaned up the rear window rubbers, they had silver overspray on them...

DSC01623.jpg

window jambs in primer...

DSC01624.jpg

masked & ready for color...

DSC01625.jpg

from there i shot the windows & jambs, air damm & inside panels below the window's. Its threatining rain here so hopefully it goes well tomorrow & if so ill have lots of pics :cool:

Ok today was the big day at the body shop. We had another typical 75 degree San diego day :cool: Got an early start & knocked it out. Overall it came out great & the body shop & guys there were very helpfull. This was the 1st car ive painted since 2005 & it felt good to be spraying again. Ok the pix....

all masked...

DSC01636.jpg

the sealer coat...

DSC01639.jpg

DSC01638.jpg

me...

DSC01641.jpg

supplies...

DSC01640.jpg

base coat...

DSC01642.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

& the clear coat.......

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

time to come back outside...

DSC01651.jpg

OH MAN...I've been thinking about it ALL day today. It looks awesome Mark...bravo!

I booked my flight today and I'll be there on Thurs at 3:35pm...:)

I can't wait...it's been an exciting few last days (you know why) and soon will everyone else once I get a chance to post. Haha!

O.K. That looks really good, How much is your per hour rate? Dude you need to start your own shop. I really dig the color, I'll bet Mario starts to cry when he see's it in person. FANFUCKINTASTIC.

Thanks guys. I didnt charge mario for the labor but then again he hooked me up with a set of rims for the wagon :D In general i dont charge that much if its an easy 1 day job. & for now my "shop" is my driveway :cool: Chris & John..we should be at the meet thursday with his car & my wagon if you guys wanna see it.

I can't wait to see it in person and to start putting it back together with the grill, trim, etx.

Thanks for the comments guys. I awe it all to Mark. I only did the labor (sand, removed trim, etx) but Mark did all the bodywork since I may work on military satellites but I don't know a thing about bodywork/repair. I've leared a lot about how simple techniques make a huge difference. It does take A LOT of freaking time and elbow grease. Nothing too difficult just labor intensive so I know that's where all the big bucks for a decent paint job come in.

Clayton: I'll definately give you and Lisa a call. :)

BTW, what do you guys think of the color choice?

If anyone is wondering or cares to know about the color...I chose "Voodoo Blue" from the new Toyota FJ Cruisers. It's very close to the Audi Nogaro Blue like Clay recommended but it's a far cry from the Pepto Bismol Pink Mark suggested (hahaha).

Edited by 71DIMER