Help on Datsun 210 Blinkers

Hi! I recently bought a 1979 Datsun 210 and just finished replacing all the gaskets and new radiator when I realized that my blinkers won’t click off once I finish a turn and the right turn signal turns on but then proceeds to stay stuck with the light on and doesn’t blink. The dial on the dash doesn’t even blink and neither does the outside. Do I need to buy new parts or could it be something electrical?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the turn signal switch might be your issue. Common the the return mechanism to fail which results in not turning off the blinker. The issue with the blinker it turning on.. that could be electrical. If it were me I’d pop the steering wheel off and have a look at the switch first, test with multi meter. 

Does this have an after market steering wheel by any chance?? If not probably the signaling cancel mechanism is at fault.

If one side flashes then not the flasher unit. As they are load dependent to cause them to flash I would say get out and look for either the front or the back not lighting up. This will be the burned out bulb.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:14 AM, Draker said:

Sounds like the turn signal switch might be your issue. Common the the return mechanism to fail which results in not turning off the blinker. The issue with the blinker it turning on.. that could be electrical. If it were me I’d pop the steering wheel off and have a look at the switch first, test with multi meter. 

On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, datzenmike said:

Does this have an after market steering wheel by any chance?? If not probably the signaling cancel mechanism is at fault.

If one side flashes then not the flasher unit. As they are load dependent to cause them to flash I would say get out and look for either the front or the back not lighting up. This will be the burned out bulb.

The car does have an aftermarket steering wheel with an nrg adapter. I’ll try taking it apart and testing the wires to see if I tripped something or the whole system is just worn down. 

Aftermarket adapter is likely the cause of your signals not returning. But it's quite common for that just to break as well. you can also just unplug the switch, grab a meter and test continuity when switching right and left. Should tell ya everything you need to know.

3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

your sure your bulbs are good first

steering wheel will have a post or knob of somesort that will cancell out the turn signal. should have 2 of them under the teering wheel or maybe on the adapter

210s are cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Bulbs are all good! They work sometimes and other times they dont. The left one acts like a normal blinker while the right just stays on like headlights. Neither of them turn off after turning. 

Go to the front and look at the right turn signal while someone turns the signal on. Does it light up and not flash? Now check the rear right

Or does it not light up. If it doesn't light up it's burned out or possibly not making contact in the socket.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, datzenmike said:

Go to the front and look at the right turn signal while someone turns the signal on. Does it light up and not flash? Now check the rear right

Or does it not light up. If it doesn't light up it's burned out or possibly not making contact in the socket.

just realized front bulb is not working 😕 I'm buying a replacement and seeing if that fixes it since it was working when I bought the car. 

On 4/7/2021 at 1:06 PM, Lucas Grey said:

The car does have an aftermarket steering wheel with an nrg adapter. I’ll try taking it apart and testing the wires to see if I tripped something or the whole system is just worn down. 

The aftermarket hub must have two small dowel pins sticking straight back towards the turnsignal switch 180deg apart from each other, to make contact with the cancellation arms, to cancel the turnsignal switch mechanically.  Many aftermarket hubs either don't place these pins correctly or don't have them at all.  I mod'd an earlier Nissan hub to fit my 1998 240SX that HAD an air bag.  I remember that I had to buy two split dowel pins of the correct length, locate them properly on the back of the hub so they made contact with the cancellation arms, drill holes & press them in...........worked perfectly!  If the hub has pins, are they making the correct contact to nudge the turnsignal cancellation arms off (one per side, left vs right)??  If not, reposition and/or replace.  Other possibility is that the turnsignal switch cancellation arms are broken, thus nothing for the pins to nudge off.

I install AutoZone Novita brand part #EL12 flasher units in ALL classic cars, including the Datsun's!  All the earlier cars use the same flasher unit on turnsignal & hazard.........replace BOTH!  The EL12 is a 2 terminal flasher like the earlier OEM flasher........if the later 210 has a 3terminal flasher, Novita does make them, just don't have the part #!

Bulbs, bulb sockets, wiring, grounds, fuse box etc are the next things to check!  Use dielectric grease in ALL bulb sockets!

18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

280zx steering wheel on my 620. The two roll pins were too short to cancel the turn signals. I pounded trimmed nails in the ends and worked fine.

There ya go!! 😎

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, datzenmike said:

Sorry for the delay! Changed the bulb and it worked like a charm! Any idea of where I can buy the pins to cancel the signal after a turn?