• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:30 AM, MGTS said:

When I did the test, It was with a brand new cat, literally 1 hour after it was installed 

Smog.jpg

Very interesting that your max and average numbers differ from mine. without posting a pic, i'll list my numbers as well as average and max where i got my smog done. i'm also in california and have an 86 720

I put the 15mph/25mph separated by a comma

CO2: 15.1, 15.2
O2: 0, 0
HC PPM: (MAX) 136, 108 (AVE) 26, 20 (MEAS) 74, 37
CO: (MAX) 0.92, 1.17 (AVE) 279, 234 (MEAS) 297, 248

By the way, i have the original cat too and running a mixture control solenoid from a Nissan Sentra 1.8, i found out

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1

HC is unburnt fuel. (hydrocarbons)

This could be slightly over rich to begin with.

Burning oil from bad rings and or bad valve guide seals or wear.

Intermittent plug misfire.

Catalytic converter needs oxygen in the exhaust to work. The 720 has an air injection system AIS. If disconnected of blocked or something and not working...

• Like 1

Coils never fail and if they do they quit. The don't work some of the time. Don't change something unless it's at fault or you waste time and money and add inferior untested parts. Check the wires and not loose on the terminals.

More likely plugs are dirty or the wiring is old and cracked. Cab and rotor old and dirty/cracked. If 5 or more years old you could change them, otherwise a visual check is all you need. I wipe all wires down with WD-40. It cleans them and you get to examine every inch for wear, cracks or damage. (chaffing)  Inspect the rotor and inside and outside the distributor cap for cracks and wear on the contacts.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I have a miss in my 86 720 and it is a burned valve.  This engine is over 450,000 miles.

i have a pic around here somewhere you can see how nasty the crud buildup is on my intake valves. i wonder what they look like now that i sprayed some of the seafoam aerosol in there for a few minutes. it didn't smoke at all when i did it. maybe could be because the coolant (just water at the time) that was getting into the intake (due to not scraping old gasket off thoroughly) steam cleaned out all the carbon in the engine? idk. i had some black soot water out the tailpipe when that was going on.

• Like 1