Best Setup Exhaust System For L16

Hi,

what is the best exhaust system for stock L16?

recently i changed my exhaust piping from stock rusty to 4-2-1 piping 1.5 inch in diameter with center (twist) bullet n sport muffler.

but im seems like im losing more power now..the acceleration is slower compare to before.

before there was no center (twist) bullet, i dont really know what u all name it..but its about 1 feet long n that thing looks twisted..

old piping..

Image074-3.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

the blue thing we called bullet

IMG_1092.jpg

here is how it looks like underneath

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

so...what shoud i do now?

remove that blue thing? -- exhaust sound will be louder

change to longer bullet? -- some of my friend said u will gain back the acceleration n top speed

or any more ideas?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a regular muffler on the end and throw that fart can away. What's happened is you have removed all back pressure from your exhaust system. The result is loss of low RPM power and torque. Removing all back pressure only benefits very high RPM operation. For street use you need some back pressure.

• Like 1

OK OK I hate the sound of them. Since you seem to have some ability with pipes, adapt a 2" muffler in line, Keep the 1.5" pipes, and leave the fart can for looks. That's all they are good for anyway. That should do it.

BTW. How does that late ZX 5spd work with the small L16? Can it pull that monster 0.745 over drive on the highway?

Put a regular muffler on the end and throw that fart can away. What's happened is you have removed all back pressure from your exhaust system. The result is loss of low RPM power and torque. Removing all back pressure only benefits very high RPM operation. For street use you need some back pressure.

so you're saying that i should remove that blue thing? or that muffler with "5 zigen" brand?

get away from glass packs and that Honda looking exhaust tip....get a nice turbo muffler like Magnaflow or Dynamax...Before welding them, have the muffler shop install temporarily and you can hear the sound. Oh, yeh, get 2.25" or 2" exhaust to maximize the exhaust.

i like the fart can look. it looks really clean on your car. i would just replace the bullet (resonator) with a real muffler to increase the backpressure a little bit. you also just change the way you drive a little bit to compensate for the engine's lack on low end, throttle faster and hold the pedal longer.

i like the fart can look. it looks really clean on your car. i would just replace the bullet (resonator) with a real muffler to increase the backpressure a little bit. you also just change the way you drive a little bit to compensate for the engine's lack on low end, throttle faster and hold the pedal longer.

owh...resonator? ok get it... so should i get a better/longer resonator or throw it away?

about the way im driving...its still the same..same route at same time n same traffic every morning to work...can really feel the downgraded...:(:( n my punch card time also affect about 5~7min delay

2eDeYe;102058']He would still be loosing power. Way to big.

Have you seen the valves on an L16?

It's about flow' date=' no back pressure means no flow. ;)[/quote']

...hmm..cant really understand the theory..but i can do the reading if got the documentation about it..:)

i have a text document on this somewhere.....explains it with a tennis ball or something. imma look for it and post it if i can find it.

hmm...changing the whole piping size will cost me more, i've changed the whole new piping last few weeks ago..:(:(

some cheaper option for me is

1. remove the resonator

or

2. remove the fart can

or

3. replaced the resonator

or

4. reallocate the resonator

so which is the best? or should i make a poll... there is too much option now..im confused...:blink::blink::confused::confused::confused: