Head Bolts and Gasket

LTM

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My FSM does not mention that I should use oil on the treads of the head bolt prior to installation, or I haven't looked in the right place of the book. Being that I had a bolt snap on removal, my question is can anti-seize be used on new bolts or just oil? I will insure that the bolt and bolt hole are cleaned.

• Like 1

I got some new head bolts for my block. The original has a number 13 on the head and the new one has 12T. Anyone know what it means? The part num I was looking for was 11057-H5700 but got superseded by 11057- H5000 (12T on the Head).

• Like 1

11057-H5700 is up to '86.5 and the end of the 720. It's a Z24 head bolt but also used on all A series engines also.

11057-H5000 is for the Z24i in the D21 Hardbody, Vanette and WD21 Pathfinder.

T is likely the manufacturer. The number is the Metric grade. A 10.8 is equal to an SAE grade 8. Generally the higher the number the higher the strength.

The later KA series engines from '89 up use TTY bolts. I worry that the D21 bolts may be like them? Says 57-61 ft lbs for the Hardbody Z24i so that's encouraging.

• Like 1

It is a production date thing.

In essence what he is saying is that the part in question is used from November of 1985 to July of 1987.

• Like 1

All Z24s are prone to HG failure at 100k intervals. As these bolts are also used on the A series engines it's not them. I was told it's something to do with the block metal alloy. The bolts are totally reusable so you don't need new ones.

The preventative measure for HG failure are to re-torque the head bolts every tune up or one a year.

• Like 1