Braking issue

510_dreamin

I have recently started having an issue when braking that I depress hard the brake pedal the parking brake light comes on. It also takes a pump to build pressure in the system.

Front pads are good read has new wheel cylinders and drums and shoes and the system has been flushed and bled. Started out of nowhere. Any idea what it could be?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brake light means there is a huge difference in line pressure between the fronts and the backs. This could be simply the shoes are out of adjustment and the first pump only moves them up against the drum. The second pump the shoes are against the drum and the pedal feels firmer.

Lift the rear wheel and adjust the shoes. Spin the wheel by hand. Pump the brakes several times to center the shoes after every adjustment. Try tightening the adjuster one more 'click'. If you can't turn the wheel by hand you'll have to turn back one click. Do the other side.

If you find the shoes are adjusted then this will only leave air in the system. When the system was bled did you bleed air from the two bleeders on the master cylinder first? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Brake light means there is a huge difference in line pressure between the fronts and the backs. This could be simply the shoes are out of adjustment and the first pump only moves them up against the drum. The second pump the shoes are against the drum and the pedal feels firmer.

Lift the rear wheel and adjust the shoes. Spin the wheel by hand. Pump the brakes several times to center the shoes after every adjustment. Try tightening the adjuster one more 'click'. If you can't turn the wheel by hand you'll have to turn back one click. Do the other side.

If you find the shoes are adjusted then this will only leave air in the system. When the system was bled did you bleed air from the two bleeders on the master cylinder first? 

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be sure to check this all out this weekend. 

A shop did the wheel cylinders and drums since I’m not too familiar with those but I’ll definitely try adjusting things this weekend 

Wonder if your brake junction block on the drivers side lower inner fender is gummed up inside, causing it to trigger the light?  Did the car sit for a long period?  That is where that red brake light is triggered if there is a failure.  There is also a switch for that red light on the e/brake handle that can get oxidized............easy to clean!  If the pedal has also gone soft, likely NOT the e/brake handle switch, but could be the junction block............??