Park brake confusion on 720

EDM620

Don't know why but the more I try to figure this out the more perplexed I get.

In my head, the basic function of a fulcrum tells me there is no way that the park brake cable activates Both rear brakes.

IMG_6347.thumb.JPG.f2fa3727e813605a66a32e1047c929bd.JPG

So the handle pulls on the cable, which draws the L wheel cable in and activates the park brake, at the same time the fulcrum effect would pull on the R wheel cable thereby netting you 1/2 of the primary pull?  4" pull on the handbrake gets you 2" pull on both wheel cables? Evenly?? Does this make sense?

I think this wasn't one of Nissan's better ideas...

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm having to finish off a custom replacement for the L cable and don't know what length to set the cable up at. OEM cable is long gone. Info I was able to get re: replacement part cable length is non-existent info and what is "supposed to be right" was either too short or too long, hence the custom cable.

So if someone has the specs on that correct cable length that would be great!

• Like 2

IMG_6347.thumb.JPG.f2fa3727e813605a66a32

Hand brake cable pulls bottom cable till it is applied and stoops moving. Hand brake cable sheath now begins to pull towards bottom cable pulling bottom of lever with it while other side of the fulcrum pulls right hand side on.

• Like 1

Adjustment would depend on shoe wear. There is no set adjustment length.

On my floor mount lever, 3 clicks is about right. When the lever starts to ratchet 6 or 7 it's in need of adjustment.

To prevent seizure ALWAYS use your parking brake when you stop. This keeps it clean and shiny. This is a back up to the most important safety device on your vehicle.... the braking system. Always keep it in operating condition. 

• Like 1

It's not the adjustment length that is my question, it is the actual cable length as I had to shorten a longer 4WD cable, but I need the correct length in order to finish it up.

To clarify, it is the Left side cable that runs to the wheel. The specs I was able to find seem to be only for the shorter cable (2wd reg cab short box). I could assume that it is _9?_ inches longer but I'd rather be sure. The commonly listed cable length of 50 1/8" is short:

RAYBESTOS  BC95624    50 1/8"

NAPA          96524  same part

Dorman     C96524   same part

It would look like this

1843857090_Lbrakecablesamplepic.jpg.a0c685fd288c0284f90c2e740ab8b6a4.jpg

Per NISSAN, p/n 36531-10W70 which was superceded by 36531-10W71 but dealer could not provide specs.

In comparison, there are 3 different cables listed for the R side:

RAYBESTOS   BC95626  4WD 2 door std cab, no length info

BC95611  RWD long bed    67 1/16"

BC95614  4WD 62 1/16"

• Like 1

I have an 82 kingcab. I’m pretty sure it’s a long bed. I was curious on the right side as well because 67 1/16 sounded long for what it appears but I could measure mine and tell you what I get if that helps? Also I googled it and rockauto seems to have a few choices if you couldn’t find anything. Do you need both left and right side cable lengths?

• Like 1

This is the driver side cable from the fulcrum to the rear driver side tire. It’s been cut so it’s not EXACT but it’s only 1/16 or so shy of exact length. Just for the specs, my truck is an 82 kingcab longbed(76inches from wall of bed to tailgate) granted it’s never been replaced and probably had some years of “stretch” applied to it. I don’t see any listings on rockauto for this size cable in a 2wd ext cab model. I’m gonna have to rethink a buying option. I couldn’t get a good measurement on the passenger side cable as it is still connected and I didn’t want to take it off until I finish the driver side but I measured as best I could from fulcrum end to the rear hub and I got around 57inches (give a few inches since there’s about 3-5in inside the drum). I hope this helps instead of adding confusion.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Diesel Dentures said:

I have an 82 kingcab. I’m pretty sure it’s a long bed. I was curious on the right side as well because 67 1/16 sounded long for what it appears but I could measure mine and tell you what I get if that helps? Also I googled it and rockauto seems to have a few choices if you couldn’t find anything. Do you need both left and right side cable lengths?

Thanks Diesel Dentures for checking that out, that measurement looks right to me. I have no idea why the Left cable seems to be such an obscure thing. The Right side cable was fine and the listed cable was a good fit (Raybestos #BC95611 from RockAuto).

I may be totally wrong here, but to my way of thinking the sheath could be slightly different in length as long as the difference in length between the sheath and cable is the same. In other words, if the cable is pulled all the way to the sheath on the one end, the cable stickout between the other end of the sheath and the end of the cable on that end should be the same as the original cable. And, of course, the cable ends and sheath ends will need to be the same as on the original.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
On 8/18/2020 at 7:53 AM, Diesel Dentures said:

What's the build date????? there were big changes Oct. '82. The '83 model year started around then maybe earlier.

Is it 2wd or 4x4???

• Like 1