Paging King Rat!

dhp123166

I now have camber on my front wheels.

I don't know how or why this happened, it comes and it goes and I have driven hundreds of miles on these so it is not dangerous.

The only rubber not replaced in front are the lower control arm bushings.

Both ball joints are good, shocks are good.

Metal fatigue maybe? Or I just need to replace the lower control arm bushings?

Thanks, daniel p.

IMG_20200715_152017826.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No everything is straight.

The scenario started like this.

I had the tranny out 6 months ago for a couple of weeks while  it was worked on.

The truck was lifted on jackstands,  the front wheels were removed and the front suspension was hanging.

Up until that point, the wheels were nice and straight.

After the tranny went back in and the truck was off the jackstands,  like magic, I had camber.

I am wondering if it has to do with metal fatigue or maybe the torsion bolts?

Another Datsun guy I was taliking to said he has seen it on 510's also.

At any rate thanks for answering my post.

You ARE the man!!!

• Like 1

Negative, or in at the tops or positive out at the tops???

Jack stands were on the frame?

Any change with the torsion bars would affect body height. I assume as you did not mention it, the body ride height isn't different? Ride height change is the only way I can see the camber changing. There are camber shims on the upper control arm for fine tuning the stock camber.

• Like 1

It's negative in, jack stands were on the frame rails.

Now that you mention it, I think my mechanic did max out the torsion bars at this time. I always had the wheels down about 1 1/2 " from where they sit now. I did see shims where they were supposed to be.

Before I drove the vehicle today, those wheels were 90° from the street, so it is kind of "funny" that this issue comes and goes all by itself.

• Like 1

LCAs are bolted to the frame on each side.

36 minutes ago, dhp123166 said:

It's negative in, jack stands were on the frame rails.

Now that you mention it, I think my mechanic did max out the torsion bars at this time. I always had the wheels down about 1 1/2 " from where they sit now. I did see shims where they were supposed to be.

Before I drove the vehicle today, those wheels were 90° from the street, so it is kind of "funny" that this issue comes and goes all by itself.

So you're saying the ride height was changed? THAT would alter the camber. But ride height doesn't come and go.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

LCAs are bolted to the frame on each side.

So you're saying the ride height was changed? THAT would alter the camber. But ride height doesn't come and go.

Everytime I have raised or lowered the front end, I never had a camber change however, the way it sits now is the highest it has ever been.

I was under the assumption that camber was set at the factory.

It's an interesting issue I guess. 

• Like 1

It's set by design and only if the truck is at stock height. As it raises or lowers it goes slowly out of whack. A couple of inches is fine, like driving over things but at the extremes it's visible. There are also adjusting shims to account for manufacturing variances and even some damage to parts.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:
26 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It's set by design and only if the truck is at stock height. As it raises or lowers it goes slowly out of whack. A couple of inches is fine, like driving over things but at the extremes it's visible. There are also adjusting shims to account for manufacturing variances and even some damage to parts.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it. Have a good night.

• Like 1
On 7/15/2020 at 4:21 PM, dhp123166 said:

I now have camber on my front wheels.

I don't know how or why this happened, it comes and it goes and I have driven hundreds of miles on these so it is not dangerous.

The only rubber not replaced in front are the lower control arm bushings.

Both ball joints are good, shocks are good.

Metal fatigue maybe? Or I just need to replace the lower control arm bushings?

Thanks, daniel p.

IMG_20200715_152017826.jpg

I have a 1984 720 2wd Kingcab ST that I believe originally it had that paint but through the years parts were replaced and know I am not sure of the the striping and the 2 tone layout.  I want to paint this back to the original desiegn with brighter blues. Please post more angle shots of the sides, front , top , & back of the truck.

DSC02875.jpg

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

I hope you see what I mean.  Thank you Charlie.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:56 PM, thisismatt said:

Tied together with a removable cross member from driver side to passenger side.

That's what I was thinking.

If you maxed out the torsion bars, that's your answer.

It won't come and go though. If it does, something is drastically wrong and should be looked at before driving it again. Could be deadly.

• Like 1

Seized shock(s)? Go over a bump the wheels extend but shocks won't compress properly body stays high. Hit another bump they release and body drops.

Do you have those poly bushings on your suspension.

• Like 1