Bosch Spark Plugs - 1979 Datsun 720 Pickup

gone2long

Greetings from SE Asia,

I was having starting problems with my 1979 1/2 Datsun 720, so I decided to change the plugs.  Locals advised against using NGK plugs saying that many on the market here are actually counterfeit.  Instead, they suggested using Bosch plugs, at $6 a clip here.  Anybody know which Bosch plug I should ask for?

I should also mention that the small (1,800 cc?) Z engine on her has been modified to do away with the original emissions system, so she uses only 4 plugs.   

Thanks,

G2L.

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, gone2long said:

Greetings from SE Asia,

I was having starting problems with my 1979 1/2 Datsun 720, so I decided to change the plugs.  Locals advised against using NGK plugs saying that many on the market here are actually counterfeit.  Instead, they suggested using Bosch plugs, at $6 a clip here.  Anybody know which Bosch plug I should ask for?

I should also mention that the small (1,800 cc?) Z engine on her has been modified to do away with the original emissions system, so she uses only 4 plugs.   

Thanks,

G2L.

They are made in Japan, almost walking distance from where you are, so get them there. If you find counterfeit plugs take them back and complain, you'll be helping the next guy.

The  model year change for most Nissans begins on or around June/July of the previous year. Any 720 with a build date of June '79 and on are '80 model years. The build date on the door jam is important for ordering parts.

WE got Z20/22 and Z24 engines. I know about the Z16 720, they were exported to Europe. Good to hear about the Z18.

• Like 2

I actually just bought some of the lazer iridium plugs for my wifes Subaru and just went to have a look.... I spent $40 for a set of 4, I did buy them off ebay so I was a little worried after reading this..

One thing I noticed was if you read the listing the cheaper ones while marked ngk were listed as unbranded....

The ones I bought stated they are ngk brand and they seem to be legitimate from the way ngk tells you to identify them....

This from the ngk website...

Screenshot-20200621-113940-Chrome.jpg

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

I could actually see the ngk marked In the wrong location in the ebay pictures..

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
Just now, Crashtd420 said:

I actually just bought some of the lazer iridium plugs for my wifes Subaru and just went to have a look.... I spent $40 for a set of 4, I did buy them off ebay so I was a little worried after reading this..

One thing I noticed was if you read the listing the cheaper ones while marked ngk were listed as unbranded....

The ones I bought stated they are ngk brand and they seem to be legitimate from the way ngk tells you to identify them....

This from the ngk website...

Screenshot-20200621-113940-Chrome.jpg

I could actually see the ngk marked In the wrong location in the ebay pictures..

I made this mistake - bought NGK iridiums off ebay and they are counterfeit.  Half of them wouldn't even fit in my normal spark plug socket.  Unfortunately I waited too long and wasn't sure at the time that they were counterfeit, so I didn't return them.  Bought real ones at the LAPS and really they weren't that much more expensive...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Bosch cross over?

Hi Matt,

Sorry, but I am in the boonies.  Can get virtually nothing here, and spending a couple of grand to go to Japan for spark plugs aint exactly in the cards. Do you know of a Bosch plug that would cross over?  The FR8DPX was suggested, and the specs for heat, reach, gap, etc. are the same as the NGK,  BPRES - 11 suggested in my truck manual.  The FR is a "platinum plus" plug with "Super plus technology" - whatever that means. : )  Sounds like a Bosch plug upgrade, though relatively expensive, might be a good idea.

Comments anyone?

PS - Yeah, I found that video too while trying to decide on a plug substitute.  Good stuff.

Thanks,

G2L

• Like 1

No one suggested you go to Japan for them but you could contact someone at NGK and have them sent to you. If you're in the boonies how is getting Bosch any different. I highly recommend NGK and wouldn't suggest anything else but them.

• Like 1
On 6/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, datzenmike said:

On Vin #s etc.  

Thanks Mike, et all for the advice, and sorry for the "off the cuff" comment about a trip to Japan.  No insult intended.  Indeed,  I always learn a lot whenever I ask anything on this site.  Unfortunately, the Vin plate does not exist on my truck.  Probably got taken off by whoever initially imported it as "scrap" from Japan.  Regarding my interest in the Bosh plugs, the fact is that a local guy swore by them, and a few sets of Bosh plugs was all that the local shop had on hand, due (in part) to the cov 19 virus disrupting supply chains. The virus  also makes getting anything directly from Japan or the US via mail or a courier relatively impossible at this time.  So, at the moment, it's Bosch or nothing.  Thanks again for all the valuable insights.  -  G2L

They are made in Japan, almost walking distance from where you are, so get them there. If you find counterfeit plugs take them back and complain, you'll be helping the next guy.

The  model year change for most Nissans begins on or around June/July of the previous year. Any 720 with a build date of June '79 and on are '80 model years. The build date on the door jam is important for ordering parts.

WE got Z20/22 and Z24 engines. I know about the Z16 720, they were exported to Europe. Good to hear about the Z18.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I decided to look up other brands than Ngk as being counterfeit....

Guess what you can find counterfeit versions of every brand spark plug....

Ngk

Bosche 

Denso

and Champion to name a few....

I would still go with the ngk...

Go to Ngks website and they should have a list of legitimate suppliers..... 

• Like 1