Z24 rebuild questions

The goal is to strip the block, tape over any holes, media blast it and paint it with ceramic based heat transfer paint. My concern is that the blast media will get into the block. The heat transfer paint must have a media blasted surface to adhere.

Question 1: Have others successfully media blasted engine blocks?

In the first  uploaded image, reading from left to right-

Question 2:  What are these three items and are they re moveable?

In the second uploaded image-

Question 3:  What is this item and is it removable?

Thank you

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the top picture, from the back of the engine to the front.

1.  Hot coolant for the heater connection.  

2.  Oil pressure switch.

3.  Oil filter base.

bottom picture, Positive Crankcase Ventilation pipe.   This goes back into the intake manifold.

I can understand your desire to have a really nice looking engine with ceramic coating on it. 

If any blast media gets into the port for the oil pressure switch, or under the oil filter base, the blast media goes to your main and rod bearings, and also could go up to the camshaft bearings.  This means you rebuild it again, possibly replacing even more parts than you did the first time.

Blast media in the PCV system goes into the engine, through the intake valve, scores (scratches) the cylinder walls, and piston, and to remove the scratches, you bore the cylinders, making your pistons too small and you have to replace the pistons too.

I strongly recommend you do NOT media blast the engine block, or cylinder head.  There is too much risk of spending alot of money and time on the engine, only to have it quickly destroyed by traces of media left inside the engine.

Just use some kind of engine paint. Engine blocks don't get that hot anyway.

If ever there was a use for a Fram filter... it's to put on a block that's being painted to cover the mounting boss. Then throw it away.

• Like 1
On 6/16/2020 at 7:18 PM, DanielC said:

In the top picture, from the back of the engine to the front.

1.  Hot coolant for the heater connection.  

2.  Oil pressure switch.

3.  Oil filter base.

bottom picture, Positive Crankcase Ventilation pipe.   This goes back into the intake manifold.

I can understand your desire to have a really nice looking engine with ceramic coating on it. 

If any blast media gets into the port for the oil pressure switch, or under the oil filter base, the blast media goes to your main and rod bearings, and also could go up to the camshaft bearings.  This means you rebuild it again, possibly replacing even more parts than you did the first time.

Blast media in the PCV system goes into the engine, through the intake valve, scores (scratches) the cylinder walls, and piston, and to remove the scratches, you bore the cylinders, making your pistons too small and you have to replace the pistons too.

I strongly recommend you do NOT media blast the engine block, or cylinder head.  There is too much risk of spending alot of money and time on the engine, only to have it quickly destroyed by traces of media left inside the engine.

Regarding the "Hot coolant for the heater connection" and the Positive Crankcase Ventilation pipe, are the made to be removed? While I have the engine on a stand, should I remove them and clean them out, along with ports in the block. The Hot coolant for the heater connection, accepts a 19mm wrench, but didn't move when I applied torque and I stopped, not wanting to break it. The PCV pipe, looks to be a press fit, but again I didn't want to break it and it isn't  easily moved.

Just clean and paint them. The hot water outlet for the heater is half covered with a hose and it's under the intake and can't be seen anyway. Same with the block vent pipe to the PCV, it's behind the exhaust manifold and behind the block. No one will even notice it.

10 hours ago, DanielC said:

I have used a Fram oil filter to filter solvent in my engine cleaning tank.

so now you have a dirty engine and solvent due to a shitty filter 😄