Intake manifold cracked above PCV valve

YoJimbo

Found the vacuum leak I've been searching for on my '85 z24 rwd.

20200504-115501-2.jpg

20200504-115354-2.jpg

Hoping to repair it with jb weld, and also considering other long term options as far as repair or replacement. I don't have much of a budget for this right now so hopefully I can seal it up well enough with some of that goop. There is also no real rush to repair as the plates for the truck are stuck at the DMV and they are "closed until further notice".

No luck finding a replacement at the junkyards here. Lots of d21s and hardbodies laying around though.

I don't think much goop will squeeze into the crack so I'm planning to clean the area well, rough it up a bit and cover it up with the stuff as best as possible. Definitely going to plug everything nearby to prevent any goop going where it shouldn't.

Any insight or ideas are welcome. Hope everyone is getting through this pandemic alright.

Edited by YoJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have this same exact issue right now on my 210 except I was trying to remove the pcv and it snapped off flush with the intake, tried using an easy out and it didn’t come out and did this same exact crack in the same exact spot… I am also going to jb weld mine back up as well but now I have the issue of my pcv valve is still snapped off flush and never coming out of that hole… if I fill it up with jb weld what should I do with my crank case breather? Somewhere else I can run it to? 

Edited by sick620

The PCV valve singlehandedly doubles an engine's life. In the '50 and earlier if you got 100k out of an engine that was very good, 120k was excellent, most were much less. At all costs try to keep it functional.

Try heating the intake with a MAP gas torch and get it HOT. Slip the easy out in and crank on it while keeping the heat on. 

Several years ago I had a crack in my manifold on one of my antiques that I could not source a replacement for.  I had it welded with nickel rod at a welding shop.  In your case I would consider drilling out the PCV shank and getting it welded then rethreading the opening for the PCV valve.

TIG is the only real fix for this manifold, but the heat caused by welding will absolutey move things around. The threads where the PCV valve go will likely need cleaned up and the gasket surface will have to be either machined or hit with a belt sander to make it flat again.

Any shop who says they can repair it will more than likely know what to do and how to do it. I'd say an hour labor minimum.