1984 Nissan 720 RWD and 4x4

Doomedwalker

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Not just your neighbors but everyone around you on the street, what about them? And yourself. Noise does no one any good. It surely doesn't make you faster, it's just.... noise. What does it say about the person that is the cause? You don't have to make it totally quiet just rumbled, throaty, subdued.  

NOT a magnaflow (and a few other brands well known for their name, but shitty sound none the less) A turbo style is not one of those 'see through' cherry bomb pipes but is packed with fiberglass and baffles to soften and absorb the noise. 

yeah that's why i didn't want it to be loud all the time. was thinking about one of those electric valves that lets you open it up when you want some noise and close it when you want it to be silent. 

ok. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Young people tolerate 'noise' better than older. Noise to me is an open pipe, it's raspy and harsh. Some sort of resonator or muffler will cut the harsh and mellow it. I consider myself old so I'm at the quiet end of the spectrum. I have a 1 7/8? not 2" pipe with the stock resonator back to a 2.25" inlet muffler. It's a generic brand I got for $5 at a yard sale, never used. It's larger than the original that had a tail pipe and was quiet. I used an adapter to fit the 1 7/8 inlet and made a 450 down bend outlet. It has a nice rumble at idle and all through the range. I can hear the radio and it's comfortable. The outlet pipe sends the sound down and it reflects off the pavement and back into the car. It's like a hair cut, you like it but no-one else does, and that's all that counts.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Young people tolerate 'noise' better than older. Noise to me is an open pipe, it's raspy and harsh. Some sort of resonator or muffler will cut the harsh and mellow it. I consider myself old so I'm at the quiet end of the spectrum. I have a 1 7/8? not 2" pipe with the stock resonator back to a 2.25" inlet muffler. It's a generic brand I got for $5 at a yard sale, never used. It's larger than the original that had a tail pipe and was quiet. I used an adapter to fit the 1 7/8 inlet and made a 450 down bend outlet. It has a nice rumble at idle and all through the range. I can hear the radio and it's comfortable. The outlet pipe sends the sound down and it reflects off the pavement and back into the car. It's like a hair cut, you like it but no-one else does, and that's all that counts.

something like this? https://www.carid.com/flowmaster/flowmaster-universal-super-hp-2-mufflers-865797582.html?vehicle=5904

i would think i am on the older end too i am 37 years old.

• Like 1

Over $100-$200 for basically a hollow pipe, ???????? I'm in the wrong business. Flowmaster might actually give you something if you had a HEMI but your paying for all their advertisements and get nothing in return. This won't make your truck any better just loud. Save the money and straight pipe it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Over $100-$200 for basically a hollow pipe, ???????? I'm in the wrong business. Flowmaster might actually give you something if you had a HEMI but your paying for all their advertisements and get nothing in return. This won't make your truck any better just loud. Save the money and straight pipe it.

wasnt going to spend $200 on it. just looking something like that? ill check Canadian tire. and see whats there?

• Like 1
Just now, datzenmike said:

ok that might work just would be nice if the inlet and outlet were in line.

also not sure how loud a Z24 is for reference.

• Like 1
On 4/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, Doomedwalker said:

ok that might work just would be nice if the inlet and outlet were in line.

also not sure how loud a Z24 is for reference.

The worst thing is a see through 'muffler'. There's little quieting in this type. Save your money and run a straight pipe. The turbo muffler has a couple of turns that absorb the loudness.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The worst thing is a see through 'muffler'. There's little quieting in this type. Save your money and run a straight pipe. The turbo muffler has a couple of turns that absorb the loudness.

k Canadian Tire didn't have anything like that. 

Edited by Doomedwalker
Tire
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Lordco? NAPA? Bumper to Bumber? Speedy might even have them or can get them.

never heard of lordco but others id have to look into simple muffler would probably be over $100 i did buy s thrush glass pack from can tire tho but i could check others. later Monday maybe.

• Like 1

Look, Thrush tend to be straight through glass packs and don't really do much. Thrush do make turbo mufflers... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000CIXOB2?pf_rd_r=DZNW1DAE92558E1B4AG6&pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73  ...

41jxcMPUKOL._AC_SX450_.jpg

If loud is what you want then forget the muffler altogether.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Look, Thrush tend to be straight through glass packs and don't really do much. Thrush do make turbo mufflers... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000CIXOB2?pf_rd_r=DZNW1DAE92558E1B4AG6&pf_rd_p=05326fd5-c43e-4948-99b1-a65b129fdd73  ...

41jxcMPUKOL._AC_SX450_.jpg

If loud is what you want then forget the muffler altogether.

ok i also picked up a length of pipe to.

• Like 1
On 4/11/2020 at 1:56 AM, datzenmike said:

Noise does no one any good. It surely doesn't make you faster, it's just.... noise. 

Gotta disagree.  Noise does/can do some good.  It can help to alert other that you are there.  

Like using your horn when someone is changing lanes into you.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

What do you think that ways?  VG30 5 speed to hual the surround sound?  Nice work!  Are you going to carpet it?

i am not sure what it ways. maybe 60 pounds? or more. VG30 what now? i have a 3 speed auto.

i might paint it at some point.

Edited by Doomedwalker
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Gotta disagree.  Noise does/can do some good.  It can help to alert other that you are there.  

Like using your horn when someone is changing lanes into you.

By that reasoning we should hold our hands on the horn as we drive.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...