1984 Nissan 720 RWD and 4x4

Doomedwalker

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

83116734_114187190125679_452140261899973

Got a scrap '83 or newer 4x4? There's a guy in Nova Scotia needs the backing plates on the rear.

Best bet for an exhaust system is have a custom one bent by a shop with a tube bender.  Don't settle for the first one you find.... a good bender operator is a true artist. Ask each shop who's the best and shop around.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

83116734_114187190125679_452140261899973

Got a scrap '83 or newer 4x4? There's a guy in Nova Scotia needs the backing plates on the rear.

Best bet for an exhaust system is have a custom one bent by a shop with a tube bender.  Don't settle for the first one you find.... a good bender operator is a true artist. Ask each shop who's the best and shop around.

not scrap just a 84 4x4 that i still can get running one way other another but i do have a 85 2wd.
whats the backing plates?

• Like 1

it would be challenging to find an exhaust shop that is still allowed to be open during this pandemic lol.

was looking at getting https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=136613&cc=1210329 

and https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1080100&cc=1210329

think i can make it work with those and some pipe i have still from when i tried to get an exhaust on the 85.

Edited by Doomedwalker
  • Like 1

The release bearing is probably $15-$20 for a good one. So is that too much to pay for something with lots of mileage on it that could fail in 8 months and you have to take the entire transmission out again to replace??? Always replace the release bearing because of it's very hard to reach location.

Your master and slave work don't they? They are not leaking?? Because they are so easy to get at and change I wouldn't fix something that ain't broke.

If the Flywheel needs it, it can be surfaced at a machine shop for $30-$50. Your Nissan wheel is probably better quality steel than something from China.

So all you need is the clutch disc and pressure plate and a new bearing. Because they are cheap, replace the $4 pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft too. I wouldn't buy a kit, just the parts you need

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The release bearing is probably $15-$20 for a good one. So is that too much to pay for something with lots of mileage on it that could fail in 8 months and you have to take the entire transmission out again to replace??? Always replace the release bearing because of it's very hard to reach location.

Your master and slave work don't they? They are not leaking?? Because they are so easy to get at and change I wouldn't fix something that ain't broke.

If the Flywheel needs it, it can be surfaced at a machine shop for $30-$50. Your Nissan wheel is probably better quality steel than something from China.

So all you need is the clutch disc and pressure plate and a new bearing. Because they are cheap, replace the $4 pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft too. I wouldn't buy a kit, just the parts you need

ok. just didnt know precise condition of some of the parts like on the 4x4 but yeah that should work thanks. i was thinking take the trans from the 4x4 and other stuff i need from the 85

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, captain720 said:

Yup the guy needs the backing plate that brakes mount to

ok are they specific to the 4x4? or would ones from a rwd truck work? i may still be able to get my 4x4 running still and will still need whats on it.

• Like 1
On 4/6/2020 at 10:13 PM, Doomedwalker said:

not scrap just a 84 4x4 that i still can get running one way other another but i do have a 85 2wd.
whats the backing plates?

I was referring to the above years. But yes November '82, this will be an '83 model year truck, and on, used the C 200 only in the 4x4. All 2wd and 4x4s before this used the H-190. But I noticed that the pinion and joke for the driveshaft changed on 4x4 H-190s in or around '82? I put an early H-190 out of a 4x4 and my 620 driveshaft would not bolt up. I couldn't swap the yoke because the pinion spline also changed.

There were HUGE changes in the 720 in 11'82. Z24 and Z20 engines available, no more four speeds, locking torque converters on automatics, round dash gauges, larger calipers and vented rotors, tail lights moved up into corners of the box, vents no longer in the hood, different grill......

• Like 1

So how loud are these trucks without the muffler i know its really loud if its cut off by the manifold i have an 85 where the exhaust was rusted thrue.

i want to add a exhaust cutout valve or be rid of the muffler but i don't want it to be so loud you disturb the neighborhood at 7am loud.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Well that ain't happening. Noise gets as tiresome for the neighbor as it will for you. Get a turbo style muffler to replace the one you have. Nice rumble and not a loud ripping fart sound.

any recommendations?

• Like 1

Not just your neighbors but everyone around you on the street, what about them? And yourself. Noise does no one any good. It surely doesn't make you faster, it's just.... noise. What does it say about the person that is the cause? You don't have to make it totally quiet just rumbled, throaty, subdued.  

NOT a magnaflow (and a few other brands well known for their name, but shitty sound none the less) A turbo style is not one of those 'see through' cherry bomb pipes but is packed with fiberglass and baffles to soften and absorb the noise. 

• Like 1